Sunday, May 29, 2011

My Osso Bucco...

(MasterChef pic)
The recipe is here.
~
I was pleased with how it turned out, being the first time I had cooked this.
First, I prepared the miraproix - onion, celery and carrot.
~
This is the osso bucco - shin of beef (MC used veal)
~
Dust the meat with seasoned flour and fry off to seal and brown. Remove from pan.
~
Add a little more oil and fry off the veggies and 4 cloves of garlic, then add in the tomato paste and fry 2 more minutes. Deglaze the pan with 1 cup of white wine (Mmmm, Cape Jaffa Unwooded Chardonnay!).
~
Add in the can of crushed tomatoes, sprigs of thyme and a bay leaf, salt & pepper and 2 cups of stock - I used chicken stock but MasterChef used a very heavy veal stock which made theirs much richer than mine.
~
Submerge the meat under the sauce and cook for 1 1/2 hours (I put mine in the oven, but you could do stove-top)
~
I steamed some new potatoes...
~
I used canned cannellini beans so I added them 15 minutes before serving. Finish the dish off with chopped parsley and grated lemon zest.
~
I picked up these lovely fresh green beans when shopping so they completed the dish. Simple hearty food and it tasted yummy!
~
Cookie making is on the agenda this afternoon so - stay tuned!
~
Cheers - Joolz

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe Joolz, I will definitely give this a try. I think there is a recipe in my simple savings book but wasn't sure what it would turn out like. Yours looks delicious!

    Have a great day,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! It looks great, and that is my sort of food. I was fascinated to read that you gave the onion, carrot and celery a name. I've just always called it the holy trinity of delicious food!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.