Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sookie St.James Cookies and Sausage Rolls....

Gilmore Girls is an all time favourite in this household for all the female members - the male loathes it! We have all 7 seasons on DVD and they play pretty much 24/7 on a weekend.
This is dear Sookie St. James, played by Melissa McCarthy. Several years ago, K18 found a recipe for her cookies on a GG site. We imagined Lorelai, Rory and Sookie chowing down on these cookies with their never ending large cups of coffee. Going right through the series, I don't think Lorelai & Rory ever paid for anything they ate or drank at Luke's Diner, and they rarely finished a meal before rushing off.
*
Sookie St. James Choc Chip Cookies
1 cup butter (250gms), softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
1 tspn vanilla extract
1 tspn salt
1 tspn cinnamon
1 tspn baking powder
2 tspn either instant coffee or ground coffee
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1 cup dark choc melts
1/2 cup milk choc melts
1/2 cup white choc melts
(There is cocoa powder in the picture below - add 2 tblspn if you are an absolute chocaholic!)
*
Cream butter and sugars until really whipped and creamy. Add vanilla and 2 eggs and whip again.
*
Stir in all dry ingredients and all of the choc bits. The batter should form a stiff dough and be quite hard to mix. Add a little more flour if it is too sticky. At this points, fend off K18 with a big wooden spoon as she tries to steal cookie dough before it makes it onto the trays. Naughty!!
*
Place large spoonfuls onto paper lined trays, flattening them down slightly.
*
Bake in a moderate oven (180C) for 10 minutes then rotate trays around 180 degrees to ensure even browning. Bake a further 6-8 minutes until browned.
*
Remove from trays onto cooling racks. Make a nice strong cup of coffee, sit down and enjoy the best choc chip, coffee infused cookie you've ever eaten. These are best eaten while still warm so that the chocolate is gooey inside. Mmmmm!
*
Sausage Rolls
*
5-6 sheets prepared puff pastry
1 kg beef sausage meat
1 small onion
1 egg
1 tspn dried mixed herbs
salt and cracked pepper
1 small potato, finely grated
1 egg extra, for glazing rolls
*
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. I put on a disposable rubber glove and mix and knead the mixture with one hand until it is combined well.
*
Place a square sheet of puff pastry on a clean chopping board and slice it in half from left to right, giving you two rectangles. Whisk egg into a bowl to glaze the rolls.
Lay a line of sausage mix along each rectangle, paint egg along each side of the pastry, fold over pastry so that the join is on the underside. Cut each roll into 4 pieces.
*
Place on a paper lined oven tray, score each roll with a sharp knife with a cross-cross pattern (looks pretty), glaze with egg.
*
Pop into a 200C oven for 12 minutes. Turn trays around to ensure even browning and bake a further 8-10 minutes. The meat must be cooked.
*
Enjoy their golden flakiness. Best eaten with lots of tomato sauce, commercial or homemade, straight from the oven.
*
I hope you will give these recipes a try, they are firm favourites in our house. K18 dived straight in when she got home from Adelaide. B15 scoffed into them too!
*
Cheers - Joolz

7 comments:

  1. Lol! I read this post while watching TGG! (Great-grandmother just died) Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG they look so good.Both, the sausage rolls and the cookies.Ive never heard of coffee added to chocolate chip cookies but they sound delis!I know about the pastry dough, we make baklava for Christmas with that.Two great ideas, must add to my list of new recipes from blogger.Thanks for sharing Joolz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way I love your teacup banner up there...very nice. I have just a few myself.Little bear is cute as well.I used to collect bears and porecelin dolls but UGH, not anymore.Im to busy with work and other things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy. They look so yum!

    I cooked my daughter a chocolate birthday cake today and will take that up to Quorn tomorrow for morning tea.

    It's her birthday on Monday and she is choofed that the government decided to give a public holiday in her honour this year.

    Thanks for the recipes I love trying out new things. Whenever there is a recipe on a blog I like I print it off and put it in a ring folder. I have four folders on the go now.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the GG's!!
    I only have season 6 and 7 to go, and then I get to start all over again! Wooo Hoooo!
    Funny thing is, even my old guy loves them! I swear he has a thing for Lorelai, but he might just switch to Sookie after tasting these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sausage rolls look SO GOOD! Thank you for the recipe, I am so making them this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah, that previous post was me... I forgot to sign out of my other account! Sorry about that...*smacks head*

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.