Monday, January 19, 2009

Buttermilk Scones...

Buttermilk Scones
2 cups SR Flour
pinch of salt
1 tblspn sugar
30gms butter, chopped
1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 220C. Grease oven tray or use parchment paper.
2. Sift flour into large bowl. Add salt and sugar the add butter and rub in lightly until it looks like bread crumbs.
3. Pour in buttermilk and mix in using a butter knife, mix to a soft and sticky dough.
4. Overmixing at this point will result in tough scones.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly for 30 seconds. Press the dough out to form a round about 2cm (1 inch) thick. Cut into rounds using a scone cutter or floured wine glass. Brush tops with buttermilk.
Depending on your oven, bake for about 6-8 minutes then turn the tray around then bake a further 2 minutes until golden.
I turn mine out into a large colander lined with a clean tea towel. I wrap the scones up and this makes them softer rather than crisp on the outside (that's how my Mum taught me who was taught by my Dad's Mum when she was first married.) - Joolz
I have made this recipe several times now and it is fail proof and fool proof. Big fluffy scones everytime.
This recipe is from Rhonda Jean at
Enjoy - Joolz

2 comments:

  1. Yummm! Thank you so much for posting the recipe!
    I might even make these for dinner tonight, to go with my chicken roll-ups. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tatersmama, thanks for the recipe they look so nice.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.