Saturday, January 20, 2018

Potting out succulents...

It has been a stinking few days here, about 40C on Thursday and only a bit less yesterday.  Today, I got to and potted along the succulents that Annabel sent me.  Now, we live in the same state, so plant swapping is allowed but I don’t think posting interstate is a good idea.  South Australia has strict regulations for bringing in fruit and plant material.  I hate that I can’t buy fruit and veggies at a farmers market in Victoria then bring it home over the border.  There are big fines if you are caught.
~
So these are the succs, I’ve just popped them in potting mix and they should take off just fine.  Once they’re established, I can repot if needed.  That greyish one is a ring in from another pot...
~
This little Aloe was in the mix so I potted that in a mug that the handle had broken off...
~
This driftwood pot was looking a bit tired (I got it for Christmas 2016) so I pulled it apart and started again...
~

All new soil went in and the stones got a wash...
~

Much better, with a few additions...little baby succs got popped in and they will soon grow little roots...
~
That’s a better temperature - a cool change blew in Friday and by 7pm it was just above 20C.  We are lucky to live near the coast...
~

I moved my succulents under the pergola for shade, I didn’t want to lose them in the extreme heat...
~

Possibly one of the nicest desserts for summer weather is a good old trifle.  I knocked this up on Thursday (zipped home from work at 3.30pm and set the sponge in the green jelly and made the red jelly, ready for pouring in when I got home from work after 5pm.
A layer of bought, thick vanilka custard, tinned peaches and the red jelly were next. When set, I cut up a banana then topped with more custard .  You can do whipped cream as well but I didn’t.
~
Delicious after a hot day!
~
These rotten Corellas have been invading our yard and picking at our lawns.  They fly in at about 4.30am, squarking and making a ruckus!
~
Shoo, you noisy buggers!
~

Now, I must say that these standard roses must thrive on neglect, have a look at this flush of blooms!  All I did was dead head the old blooms last week and boom!  I wish I could remember the name of this beauty...
~
Other than all that, I’ve dismantled Gus’s barbecue and given it a lady clean then reassembled. It’s sparkling and ready for our Australia Day guests, arriving later this coming week.
I also potted out some petunias - I haven’t had a thing growing in pots all year.
~
Cheers - Joolz xx

1 comment:

  1. Love to watch your succulents...amazing how they fill in. I'm still thinking of your vegepod. I think I will ask for one for our anniversary...traditional gift for 42nd real estate...I think any garden space should qualify, yes? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.