Saturday, October 31, 2015

Rustic yeasted sour dough loaf...

The dough hadn't changed much since last night but was very active.
~
I plopped it out onto the floured baking sheet and gave it a gentle knead, bringing the top into the middle, half turn then repeat.
~
I floured the top...
~
...then plo ked it over onto a clean, well floured tea towel.  This now sits for 30 minutes while my LeCreuset dutch oven heats up in the oven to 230C.
~
I put a piece of kitchen paper in the pan to guard againt sticking...
~
This is after 30 minutes with the lid on...
~
...and after another 15 minutes with the lid off, reduced to 200C.
~
Perfect!  I can't wait to have this as camp toast when we go camping later this weekend.
~
I just had to try a piece - I'm very happy with it. Really good flavour!
~
Cheers - Joolz xx


 

 

 
 
 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I hope you tried it with lots of butter. It looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame the first didn't activate but this yummy loaf makes up for it. Is it correct you now keep some of the active dough and add to the next batch? I think I may have heard where some doughs have been going for many years - not sure. Enjoy, very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I guess I could've kept a bit to feed but this isnt a true sour dough as I used yeast (and truth be known, I totally forgot to keep some)!
    Some people have a starter in the fridge which you jst activate a bit before you want to use it (and man, it must smell sour).
    You can also spread some starter out on a board, let it really dry out then scrape it up and keep the dried starter in the freezer. Then just reconstitute with water and feed up as normal. There are so many ways of doing it.
    My loaf made lovely toast this morning - we went camping - and I'll have the last of it tomorrow with vegemite and jam.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.