Saturday, October 11, 2014

Rhonda's Recipes ...

The recipes I use is from Rhonda Hetzel's Down to Earth blog ...

 

http://down---to---earth.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/making-pickled-beetroot.html

With the beetroot, I like mine a bit sweeter so I used 1/2 cup sugar instead of 2 and 1/2 tablespoons...

Rhonda suggests storing the cucumber pickles in the fridge but all of my lid seals 'popped' down so I think they are safe in the pantry until opened. Likewise with my beetroot. I turned the jars upside down for an hour then when I turned them over and touched the tops, they 'pop' sealed.

Do have everything ready before you start - pickling liquid and spices assembled, jars sterilized, lids ready, small jug and funnell for bottling, clean cutting board and knife, clean and clear space to work. When slipping the skins off the beets, wear disposable gloves so your hands don't stain. Removing the skin is the best, fun part as you reveal the lovely shiny beet underneath.

I love the pickles with cheese and biscuits (not at the moment due to my 'healthy eating' plan)... and the beetroot is just lovely, much better than bought stuff! Give it a go!

Cheers - Joolz xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.