Monday, July 21, 2014

Swedish Meatballs...

 

These are a great addition to my winter-warmer recipes.

A nice creamy sauce with baby spinach and peas in it...

Served with mash, it really hit the spot!

Meatballs - 2 slices white bread, crusts cut off and torn into bits

1/4 cup skim milk

1 small brown onion

400gms extra lean pork/veal mince

1 egg

1/4 tspn all spice

1/4 tspn nutmeg

~

1 tbspn olive oil

1 and 1/2 tbspn plain flour

1 and 1/2 cups beef stock

1/2 cup light cooking cream

2 cups spinach leaves

1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed

~

Soak bread with milk. Dice onion and fry off in a pan sprayed with oil until softened. Transfer to a large bowl.

Add mince, egg, spices and soaked bread to the onion. Season with salt and pepps. I use a food safe rubber glove then I get in there and squoosh it all about to combine. Remove and discard glove, no mess or mince under your nails!

Shape tablespoonsful of mince into balls. Add a little oil to a non stick pan and fry off the meatballs, turning gently to brown them evenly. Transfer to a plate when nearly done.

Add flour to pan and cook off for a minute. Gradually add the stock, stirring constantly (I have a non-stick whisk) then add the cream and cook until smooth and combined.

Return meatballs to the pan and add the spinach and peas. Simmer on low heat for a further 5 minutes to wilt spinach.

Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or fettucine pasta.

~

I hope you like it!

Cheers - Joolz xx

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jools that looks fab, I might have to try that! The minute I read the title the Swedish chef from the Muppets jumped into my head!!! Hope you and yours are well, I have got horrible behind reading blogs of late and I'm trying to remedy that xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish looks delicious - I'll be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh yummy. These look good Joolz :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.