Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Lamb Dopiaza (the hot version)...

I tried Rick Stein's lamb dopiaza on Sunday. Rather than frying and toasting off the spices to release their flavour, in this dish they just all go in the pan and 2 hours later you have a lovely curry with thickish gravy.

His recipe called for coriander and cumin seeds but it didn't stipulate if they needed to be ground or not. I chose to grind then roughly then added them to the ither spices. I cut back the 10 Kashmiri dried chillies to six but wow, it still had some kick! You know how you take a mouthful, it burns, you swallow it down, appreciate the flavour then immediately take another mouthful? Thats what it was like. Wowsers!

I love making accompaniments for my curries, they just make it interesting. This is Apple Chutney - 2 royal gala apples and 1 small onion, grated; One green chilli, diced; a handful of chopped parsley; 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar and 1/4 tspn salt. Combine all ingredients.

I diced the lamb, sprinkled over the spices, threw in the cinnamon sticks and chillies...

Next, I dolloped in the yoghurt and stirred to combine. Re-reading the recipe, I've just realised I missed adding in 60gms of ghee. Hmmm, it just got healthier as I used low fat yoghurt too!

I made naan bread and although this had 40gms of ghee in it, I didn't brush the other 40gms of ghee over them, as requsted, when cooked.

Beautiful, tender lamb chunks...

My standard extra is the cucumber raita which aids in cooling the dish down - greek yoghurt, cucumber, chopped fresh mint, cumin, lemon juice and sugar.

Since buying Rick's book, I have really enjoyed experimenting with his curries. There are so many more yet to cook - Lamb Korma, Rogan Josh, Beef vindaloo, Butter Chicken, Madras Club Sheperds Pie....

I haven't had a cold this winter, maybe the curries are keeping the lurgies at bay?

Cheers - Joolz xx

 

2 comments:

  1. I love Rick Stein and I love curries, we went out for one last night with friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like making all the condiments too, it just doesn't seem like a complete Indian meal without them :) I really have to get some lamb to make curry!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.