Monday, April 14, 2014

Chicken Apricot Curry Pt 2 ...

The curry was beautiful - quite spicy ( and I backed off the Kashmiri chilli powder too)!
It is always best to measure out all of your spices etc before you start. That was you are not running around trying to find things and nothing gets left out.

~
Gently fry off the whole spices then the onion, until soft.
Add tomatoes, garlic and ginger, fry off.
Add in all other dry spices and fry off to combine. Add in the chicken pieces.
Stir to coat the pieces then nestle them into the mix.
Add in the jaggery, vinegar and water, just enough to cover.
This is the jaggery that I found at an Indian deli. It is concentrated sugarcane juice. It is similar to palm sugar in taste and texture.
The finished curry, tasty chicken pieces!
Ready to serve in my new Indian silverware! Now onto the Aloo Gobi (potato and cauliflower curry).
More spices (mustard seeds, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, garlic and ginger).
Add in diced potatoes and cauli florets, honey and water.
Just before serving add in peas and squeeze of lemon juice.
Sprinkle with corianded to garnish.
Serve with Basmati rice (I do the absorption method - 2 cups of water, 1 cup of rice in a saucepan - bring it to a rapid boil, give it a good stir then turn off completely and put the lid on. Walk away then come back 15-18 minutes later to perfect, fluffy rice. No boil overs or stuck rice.
I also served it with a cucumber, mint raita to help cool it down!  I love that stuff!

A delicious curry, which we will also enjoy for lunch today.
Saturday night, I made this Sticky Date pudding with Butterscotch sauce. Oh, my Lordy - the best!

Sticky Date Pudding
1  1/4 cups dates, chopped
1  1/4 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon baking powder
60gms butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup SR flour
Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a deep 20cm cake tin (or I used a casserole dish). Combine the dates, boiling water and soda.
Allow to stand 5 minutes then blend the date mix with the butter and sugar with a stick blender - I put the mix in a metal milkshake cup. Be careful its still hot!
Tip this mixture into a bowl andd add in the eggs and flour. Stir to combine until you have a nice cakey batter.
Pour into your cake tin or casserole.
While the cake is baking for 45-50 minutes, make the butterscotch sauce - this is the naughty bit!
Butterscotch Sauce - in a saucepan combine
1  1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup cream
50gms butter
1/3 cup golden syrup
- stir over low heat until all combined, sugar dissolved and sauce has thickened slightly.
When you remove the cake from the oven, poke small holes with a skewer then pour a little bit of the sauce over the cake.
Serve slices of the cakes drizzled with more of the sauce and a dob of thick cream. You are welcome!
Cheers - Joolz xx

2 comments:

  1. What a feast! I love to make all the trimmings when we eat Indian food as everything seems to complement the other dishes and make a complete experience. As the majority of the family are vegetarian, then Aloo Gobi is a frequent dish (the kids like a bit of yoghurt stirred in at the end for a creamier sauce). They also like Palak Paneer (made with halloumi as I can't get paneer here). And I've converted them to always serving cucumber raita, mango and lime chutneys, pappadams plus proper naan bread, roti or chapatis.

    That sticky date pudding looks so delicious. I think I might try it out later in the week. I haven't eaten it in years, but remember how wonderful it tasted. Yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds and looks delicious, especially the cauli and potato curry I love those 2 veg in any form.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.