Monday, October 28, 2013

First taste of Quinoa ...

 I haven't tried quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) before so when I happened to find it at the supermarket, I bought a packet.  This is a white, red and black mix but you can get it separately.
~
 I simply boiled it for about 18 minutes in some chicken stock the drained it and spread it out on a plate to cool in the fridge.
~
 I decided to make a simple veggie salad with it so I grated a carrot, chopped cucumber, capsicum and red onion and added a cup of cooked corn kernels.
~
When I plated up, I spooned the quinoa/veg mix over some lettuce mix and served our chicken kievs with baked potato chunks.  I dressed each salad on the plate with Chang's Oriental Salad dressing (now available ready made!).
It was really delicious and there is plenty left over today to have as another salad with some cold meat.  Have you tried quinoa?
~
Cheers - Joolz

4 comments:

  1. Yum that looks delicious think I will have to make that salad it looks lovely and healthy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joolz, this has been a good prompt for me - I bought some quinoa ages ago and it sat in the cupboard for so long that I eventually threw it in the freezer. Hmmmmm may have to get it out and try that salad, it looks yum. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Quinoa. I am a Coeliac so finding something to have like oats for breakfast in winter was trial and error. I use the flakes and make it up in the microwave just like quick oats.

    The canteen manager at my daughters high school made a indian type salad on my day on. She did chicken stock like you and also put in spices like cumin, tumeric and curry. She then put in vegies and served it hot - even the kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, that does look delicious. I'll bookmark it for when the weather is warmer.

    We love quinoa and eat it regularly. My kids like it best as patties - I use this recipe and it's always a hit: http://www.cookingquinoa.net/quinoa-patties

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.