Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pre-Easter food happenings ...

Just a few of the things we have been eating in the lead up to Easter. The weather has been much cooler and Autumn like which has been a relief. Funny how as soon as the weather cools, out come all the comfort foods.
~
 
I made Annette Sym's Chicken Laksa - the recipe is here.
~
It's a lovely warming dish.
~
St Patrick's Day came along so I thought I'd made Beef & Guiness pies.  I had purchased the oval pie tins some time ago so I thought they'd be perfect.  I blind baked the puff pastry bases first then added the pie mixture then topped them with pastry and baked again.  
~
~
These were delicious!  The recipe is here.
~
I made bread rolls, always handy to have in the freezer.
~
Quick and easy pasta - choose your favourite sausages (Woolworths do a nice Lamb with Mint & Rosemary), using kitchen scissors, chop the sausages into a pan and fry them off.  Remove and drain on kitchen paper.  Use your favourite tomato pasta sauce (I had some leftover homemade), add the sausages back into the sauce.  Cook your favourite pasta (bowtie/farfalle) and add to the sauce.  Serve and top with grated parmesan cheese.  Much quicker than rolling meatballs!
~
~
I had a couple of 'dead' bananas so I made choc chip banana muffins for our staff's smoko.  Forgot to take a picture of the finished muffins.  Oops!
~
Twice baked potatoes - bake potatoes in the skins (on baking paper) until tender.  Cut in half length ways, scoop out innards and put aside in a bowl.  Now you should have boat shapes.
~
Chop a rasher of bacon and one onion.  Microwave to cook these for about 2 minutes.  In the bowl with the mashed up potato, add a good dollop of sour cream, the bacon and onion, some chives, salt & pepper and 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese.  Now fill the potato boats with the potato mix, top with a little bit more cheese and sprinkle with paprika and bake a further 20 minutes until golden.  Try stopping at one!
~
Lastly, I made my favourite chicken curry which we had with a yoghurt (cucumber & mint) raita and some of the flour tortillas which I made (see separate post).
~
Cheers - Joolz xx

4 comments:

  1. Yummy yummy, yummy and I lerve that book, Down to Earth, and the beautiful lady that wrote it ;)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...everything looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All looks lick ya lips delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummo! All your food looks delicious. I might try blogsy too as we're going away on a short holiday soon and I'd like to do a post while away....last time we went away I couldn't get the photos to work on the app I was trying.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.