Saturday, April 9, 2011

On the menu at our house...

Chicken in Barbecue Sauce
1 kg chicken pieces (wings & drumsticks)
1/3 cup tomato sauce
2 tblspns honey
2 tblspns soy sauce
1 tblspn brown sugar
2 tblspn cider vinegar
1 tspn grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/3 cup hot water
~
Place chicken pieces in a lasagne/baking dish. Combine all ingredients and pour over chicken. Bake uncovered in moderate oven for 45-50 minutes until chicken is tender. Baste with the sauce 2-3 times during cooking. Serve with salad or on a bed of savoury rice.
~
Friday night burgers - Ainsley Harriott's Monzarelli Mediterranean Burgers, which I have featured before - here.
~
We have finally had some rain today and it's a bit chilly so I decided to try some Thick Pea Soup from Marie's blog A Year at Oak Cottage, via her cooking blog The English Kitchen - she has some seriously beautiful food on this blog!
~
This is the bacon bones and ham hock after they'd boiled away for about one hour. I stripped all the nice meat off them and returned it to the pot.
~
After a whiz with the Bamix, I have a lovely smooth, hearty soup. I have frozen five big serves for later but have already enjoyed 2 bowls today - yum!
~
Just bumming around this afternoon. I took Mum to Mt.G this morning to pick up some shoes she had on order and did a few other jobs. Might settle in with some cross-stitch now.
~
We had another huntsman spider incident last night (three this week!!!!). Brianna and I were outside, cleaning out her school bag (she spilled sugar in it! - she takes teabags, sugar and milk to made a cuppa at school in her free lessons, bless her!). As we came back in through the screen door, she turned around and noticed a huge (as in side plate sized) huntsman spider on the door. She yelled for me to move and I did! The hairs stand up on the back of my neck just thinking about it! Erk!
~
Oh, how I hate them so! I just tried to put up a link to a photo of one for you, but couldn't go through with it! Just Google Huntsman spider and view the images... if you DARE! I can't!
~
Enjoy your weekend. Kirby comes home for 5 days tomorrow so that will be good then we will see her again over the Easter break. Time for some chocolate therapy - I'm going to make these Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies (scroll down the post to see) - wicked!
~
Cheers - Joolz

5 comments:

  1. Hi Joolz,
    Your food always looks sooo good! We're about to head out for a dinner party,so have no idea what's on the menu. I hate the huntsman spiders too or any spiders for that matter. I've never seen one as big as your dinner plate size one though...aaahh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that your food looks so marvelous I can almost smell it.

    Huntsman spiders? If we have them here, we surely know them by a different name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chicken looks so unbelievably delicious! I've saved the recipe for later. I think I'll make it next time Carey's home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't believe it. Thats my Chicken in Barbeque Sauce recipe. I don't know where I got it from but I must have been making it for at least 25 years.

    They are so good aren't they, especially when they are baked in a heavier pan and they start to caramelise YUM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joolz... the huntsman spider... they are totally harmless... just big. They are friendly too! They don't have a mouth so they can't bite you. I keep them in my house when they come to visit...give them free range... I have had them climb up and down my arms and talk to them. Please don't kill them or be frightened of them. They just need relocating. Put them on the end of a soft broom and suggest to them a nice spot outside..lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.