Sunday, March 27, 2011

Monopoly by candle light...

~
We had lights out at 8.30pm last night for Earth Hour. We set up our new Monopoly game and played for 3.5 hours in the darkness. No interuptions.
~
Brianna won by eventually placing hotels on Mayfair and Parklane and with a rental of $14 million,
Gus ended up going bust! Good fun!
~
Katrina at The Organised Housewife has some great tips and motivational posts to get you in the mood for cleaning, laundering and ironing. She also menu plans as well. Check out her site.
~
One of her "to-do's" was to wash your washing machine. As soon as I read her post I knew I had to clean mine! I had a good build up of mould, soap powder and fabric softner in there. A good hot wash with a big cup full of vinegar had it all refreshed. I sloshed the vinegar water around the top and wiped all the mould and residues away. Took me about 10 minutes, tops!
~
Here's the finished product - a gleaming machine, ready to tackle anything!
~
This is another tip that I got from a friend on facebook - fill your laundry sink with a strong solution of Napisan and hot water. Soak your oven racks and trays to remove baked on fat and food spills.
~
This was taken after only a few minutes and a bit of scrubbing (a bit more still needed). The fatty build-up just disappears. Sugar soap was another product mentioned to do the same trick. Will try that next time.
~
Obviously, there is probably a 'green' recipe for Napisan so give it a go!
~
Cheers - Joolz

10 comments:

  1. It looks like some Spring cleaning is happening there. :) It reminds me I better get a few things done around here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I'm confused--what is Earth Hour and I've never heard of Napisan. But I must say I do use white vinegar to clean my washing machine and other things! Hope your neck is feeling better! Physical therapy can do wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh.... my washing machine scares me! Really scares me! I will go and check out her site though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joolz, thanks for the great cleaning tips, I'm in cleaning mode today so might give them a try. We had dinner at friends last night by candlelight as they've just built on to their kitchen and the lights hadn't been installed in that area yet. We hadn't remembered about Earth hour though....good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. C - Napisan is a diaper soaker powder. I still use it to remove greasy marks, blood stains, underarm odours from shirts when laundering clothes. It has some hydrogen peroxide so it works as a bleach on whites and some colours. My laundry is never without it. I ran out of it today and went and bought more.

    Lois, it is more like 'fall' cleaning as we are heading into Autumn. Lovely cool days and we had a bit of rain overnight. This is my favourite season.

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love anything that makes cleaning oven racks easier. It never ceases to amaze me how much build up I get in behind the soap dispenser of the washing machine. Eeewww!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your washing machine looks new, love it!!! I love napisan and have used on my griller a few times too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I started on my washing machine before even reading this, but because I have a newer washer on the patio and the one in the house is starting to rust around the hinges, I gave up on it. I'll be doing the new one though - with your tips - when it finally gets inside!
    Napisan for oven racks and trays? I never thought of it, but I'll be giving it a go for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those racks look like new again! I'm off to check out the link...I need some motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you Autumn cleaning, I love Spring cleaning in Autumn it's part of getting my "nest" ready for winter. We usually do Earth hour but this year we were travelling so didn't get to. Good on you for taking part.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.