Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Chicken Yumbo's & Potato Springers...

Brianna decided she'd like to cook dinner for us last night. She had made this meal in her Hospitality class at school and wanted to try it out on us. Who was I to say no to dinner being cooked for me?
~
First up, she made Potato Springers (curly fries) ...
~
... next she made the Chicken Yumbo's - chicken breast tenders coated in Greek yoghurt then rolled in a mixture of cornflake crumbs and bread crumbs...
~
The finished product (we didn't use any oil at all - the yoghurt keeps them moist and the crumbs crisp up) ...
~
This is Angus' impersonation of Matt Preston from MasterChef Australia, giving his verdict on the Chicken Yumbo's. Score 9/10
~
Bri made a dipping sauce with 2 tablespoons each of Dijon mustard, honey and olive oil - use a Bamix or stab blender and whiz until thick and creamy...
~
This is the tool that makes the potato springers - you screw the end into an oblong potato and start rotating around the potato, it cuts through as you go...
~
Here they are, standing up ready to go in the oven. She tossed them in a bag with a little oil to coat and sprinkled them with a herb mix...
~
~
The meal plated up with a nice little salad - it sure was delicious! Thanks, Breezy!
~
While all that was cooking, I thought I'd make an Apple Crumble. I diced up 3 Granny Smith apples, added 1 tblspn brown sugar and a shake of cinnamon and about a tablespoon of water in the bottom. In a bowl, I combined about 1/2 cup each or crushed cornflakes, rolled oats and Just Right cereal, 1 tblspn brown sugar and 1 tblspn butter, melted. Mix all these together then simply pour over apples and pat down. Bake for about 40 minutes until the crumble has browned a bit.
~
Serve with a little lite cream. Very comforting on a cold night!
~
Cheers - Joolz

5 comments:

  1. Oo yum, yum that looks so good, will be trying that coating on my next lot of chicken tenderloins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Looks so good! Where did you get the springer thing from? I have done chicken like that before and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yummy! What a wonderful meal. I'm glad you included directions. I like your potato tool.

    Thanks you sharing.

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinner at your place last night looked so yummy and I would not say no to someone cooking dinner for me either:0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Yum My kids would go nuts over those chicken tenders!!!!!
    They look like KFC crispy strips!
    Wish I had some fillets and that'd be dinner tonight!
    Oh Well.....Have to think up something else.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.