Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Yummy quiche...from scratch...

I followed Rhonda's recipe for short crust pastry and quiche. I made the pastry in my food processor, rolled it out between 2 sheets of GladBake kitchen paper then flipped it into my flan dish.
*
After refrigerating for 30 minutes, I blind baked the crust for about 30 minutes until it was golden.
*
My filling was - 2 rashers bacon, 1 onion, 1 small zucchini & 1 small carrot both grated, bit of capsicum, diced and small tin of sweet corn kernels. Sautee bacon, onion then other veg until tender. Whisk 6 eggs and 4 tblspn light sour cream, add bacon & veg mixture, 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, 1 tspn chicken stock powder, sprinkle of parsley flakes, salt & pepper. Pour all into pastry case, top with tomato slices and sprinke a little grated cheese on top.
*
Bake in 180C oven for approx. 30 minutes until cooked through and top is golden. Enjoy with a tossed salad. I was very pleased with my pastry. Other times I have tried to make short crust pastry it has turned out tough and doughy. This pastry was buttery, crunchy and light in texture. A success! Any vegies can be included in the filling - try spinach, sweet potato, pumpkin etc. It's a great way to get children to eat their vegetables.
*
I would have to say, it's the best quiche I've ever made. Lovely buttery pastry and it set all the way through. Yummo!
*
Cheers - Joolz

9 comments:

  1. I thought Rhonda's pastry looked very good and easy as well. Rob makes the pastry in our house. But I am going to give it a whirl anyway. And I loved your ingredients, so I may copy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful! i love quiche

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pastry look lovely. I usually leave my quiches ever so slightly undercooked in the middle because they will contiue to cook in their own heat and will end up perfectly done.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog Joolz!
    I'm going to be making some quiches for the weekend and will use Rhonda's tips.. they obviously work! Your quiche looks great!
    I made her 'Barmbrack'(Irish fruit bread with the dried fruit soaked in tea)yesterday, I make it all the time, it's amazing.
    I'm in beautiful Bellingen by the way, I don't reveal my exact location on my blog but I do not mind sharing more about my life with those I meet through blogging. Your region looks wonderful too, we are so blessed to live in such an amazing country. I'm coming back to check out your recipes, they sound great,I need more ideas to feed my hungry hoarde of 6 (soon to be 7!) plus my husband, hence the reason why I need to make 2 large quiches at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delish, I saw her recipe too, but looked like alot of work for me. When's dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure looks yummy. I have been making pastry lately. (apple pie, custard tarts) I just never think to photograph it before the hordes devour it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, which blog is Rhonda's? I wanna look at this pastry recipe too! (Oh! And my favourite quiche combo is onion, bacon, zucchini, sweet potato & cheese + the egg mixture!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is making my mouth water.

    Of course, I haven't eaten anything more than a few bites of yogurt and a half a piece of toast in the last few days.

    When I'm feeling better, I'm definitely trying this one!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.