Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Christmas Goodies...

First up, Cherry Ripe Balls...

https://www.ohsobusymum.com.au/cherry-ripe-balls/

I saw this recipe in Facebook and when I went to buy the Cherry Ripe bars, they were on special for .99c each (1/2 price)! Winning!

~

I'm not sure if Cherry Ripes are an Aussie thing or if they are available overseas but I'm sure you have an equivalent...

Break them into pieces...

Add in a packet of biscuits and cocoa...

Process until you have a fine crumb...

Add in the can of condensed milk...

Roll teaspoons of the mixture into balls and roll in coconut.

Oh so yummy!

~

This next recipe might be just a family recipe because I haven't seen it anywhere else...

Years ago, when I was a small child, Arnott's made a darker Malt Biscuit but it hasnt been available for years now.

I use these ones now...

...but I add some cocoa and malt powder to replicate the taste...

Lolly bananas are the other strange ingredient to this roll... Do they have these in the US and UK?

On a sheet of Gladbake kitchen paper, shape the mixture into a long roll - it will make 2-3 10 inch longish rolls. The sprinkle with coconut and coat all sides, under and over. Transfer the roll onto some cling film and wrap tightly, keeping the roll in shape. Wrap in foil and refrigerate until needed (in my case, I taste tested an hour later - ha)!

This should keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks easily but I bet it won't last that long.

Looks pretty on a plate when you cut it.

~

I am also doing a chocolate peppermint version using Choc Ripple biscuits... ~

... and Crown mint lollies...and a slosh of brandy!

~

MALT ROLL

125gms butter

1 big tablespoon golden syrup

1/2 tin condensed milk

1 packet malt biscuits

1 tablespoon cococa powder and malt powder

10 lolly bananas, chopped up

1 cup mixed fruit (plus 10 glace cherries for colour)

~

Process the biscuits to a fine crumb and tip into a large bowl. Add in the cocoa and malt powder, mixed fruit, cherries and lolly bananas.

Shape into a log, sprinkle and coat with coconut, roll up in gladwrap and refrigerate.

~

These goodies will find their way to my friends and family next week - they have much less calories when gifted away! :)

Cheers - Joolz xx

 

9 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen anything like the Cherry Ripe bars. They look very interesting all on their own. The Cherry Ripe Balls you made look mighty tasty as well. I don't think we have the lolly bananas either. I was thinking that maybe they would be similar to Runts which have a banana shaped candy included in a mix of other fruits, but those have a hard candy shell, and yours look like maybe they are of a more marshmallow consistency? Very interesting. And lucky recipients!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must ask your local Florist for her mums Christmas Cake recipe. It is the best one I have ever had, even 40+ years later I have never had better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local florist being Margie? Where are you situated, Dee?

      Delete
  3. I'm about 2 hours from you, but Margie and I went to high school together, but didn't keep in contact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a lovely lady and does the most beautiful flowers. Were you "Sufficiently Sufficient", Dee?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Sufficiently Sufficient is starting to sound familiar but I can't remember why we used it. D is the initial of my first name if that helps

      Delete
  4. Joolz these look fab - but so not WW!! cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the inspiration Joolz....I'm only just starting to think about Christmas baking!! I remember those little malt biscuits, they were a favourite of mine. I think they had little scolloped edges.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.