Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Beef & Potato Curry...

This recipe comes from a local business man who grew up in Fiji, at a time when Indian migrants bought many foods to Fiji. Fiery curries from Madras and those which contained a subtle blend of spices to tempt the palate. A friend of mine tried his curry that he was selling serves of at a local church fete and I just had to get the recipe and try it for myself...
~
BEEF & POTATO CURRY
1 kg stewing steak (chuck/round), diced
1 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons ginger, grated
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 tspn Garam Masala
1 red chilli - as hot as you like - I like mild ones, chopped finely, seeds removed
1 400gm can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6 curry leaves (I used bay leaves)
1 cup of water or stock
2 tablespoons of white vinegar
4 large potatoes, peeled and diced into largish chunks
Quantity of Basmati rice, cooked and kept hot
~
Heat oil in a large pan or stove top casserole until very hot. Add mustard seeds and stir until they begin to pop (be careful, they fly everywhere). Add the onion and sautee until tender. Add ginger and garlic and cook off for 2 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
~
Add curry powder and garam masala and bay leaves and fry for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
~
Add the salt and vinegar
~
Add the beef in and stir until it is coated with spice mixture. Cook for 5 minutes to brown the meat. Take care that is doesn't stick to the pot.
~
Add in the tomatoes and chilli and sugar, cover and cook for 30-45 minutes until the beef is tender. Add in small quantities of water if it looks dry. Now add in the potatoes and cook further until the potatoes are tender (another 20 minutes?)
~
Serve on a bed of Basmati rice... it's got just a good kick of heat without blowing your head off. It makes you go back for another spoonful! Adjust the spice up and down next time you make it.
~
I bought an Sunbeam Rice Perfect 5 electric rice cooker like this one but I got mine for $17.00! It cooked the basmati rice perfectly in about 18 minutes - and then it keeps it warm until you need it. I hope you'll try this curry in the coming winter months - there is no reason why you couldn't do it in a slow cooker for a weekday dinner or weekender for that matter.
Enjoy,
Joolz

6 comments:

  1. Sounds good for this weekend, I love a good curry and haven't had one for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I will be trying this for sure. I love a good curry as long as it's not to hot. Good idea about using the slow cooker(Iheart mine all winter)
    Great cooking photos, as usual with you Joolz.
    Caroline :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried your mexican salad over the weekend - it was a huge hit!

    Brenton will LOVE this one. He is a massaman curry fan so should love this also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are curry fanatics here. So yes, I imagine giving this one a try.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo, that looks good. I'll have to bookmark this and try it out when I can get the ingredients. We love spicy food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have decided that I want to move to Australia, and be your neighbor. I would just enjoy sitting my my yard and smell your cooking every day. I wouldn't even beg to taste it, I would just enjoy the aroma and taste the smell. That way I wouldn't have to worry about all the weight I would gain, because I look at these yummy dishes and gain 10 lbs. Your amazing! I love Monolopy and didn't know of this newer board!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.