Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Sally lives!

Oh dear, I thought I'd killed her!

I had neglected Sally Sourdough starter so badly, she looked ghastly. A nasty scummy film of I don't know what covered her. The colour was not good either! I carefully removed said scum which only left a bit of Sally left. I then tipped all of her into a bowl and fed her, just 1/4 cup of bakers flour and 1/4 cup of water. I fed her a few more times later on Sunday. That was yesterday and today she has rallied and at least showed signs of life...

When I got home at lunch time I portioned off a good 1/2 cup into another bowl and fed her again. I tipped this Sally back into her jar. She must be happy because this is how bubbly she was when I got home tonight.

This is the remainder so I will mix dough tonight to rise overnight. Looks like Sally lives to see another day!

Cheers - Joolz xx

6 comments:

  1. You've got the magic touch by the looks. Sourdough is so addictive and our guests chow through it with dips, cheese and hummus too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest problem is that we don't eat enough of it to warrant a daily bake. I should have been bread making 10 years ago when both my girls were home! But you're right, it is addictive! :)

      Delete
  2. I kill my sourdough on a regular basis...and my mom is always nice enough to give me more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really must take more care and feed it regularly!

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, that was close Joolz. I have dried some of my Gertrude so I have some as backup and to give away. I love my Gertrude. LOL! Sad isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too close! But yes, I've also dried some Sally starter just in case! I've got a loaf and 12 bread rolls in the oven right now. Perfect rise!

      Delete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.