1 sachet dry yeast
1 tblspn sugar
200 mls warm water
600 gms plain flour
30gms melted butter
1 tspn salt
Another 200 mls warm water
Note: I use a stand mixer but this recipe works just as well with a bowl and a butter knife to mix the dough. Mix the dough until shaggy, let rise 45 minutes then knead by hand for 4 minutes and follow the method along to finish the rolls...
1. In a stand mixer bowl add the yeast, water and sugar. Whisk to combine. Leave 10 minutes - if it doesn't look foamy there is something wrong with the yeast. Discard and try again.
2. To the yeast mixture, tip in all the flour, butter and salt.
3. Set the mixer going gently and get the dough combined. Scrape down sides of the bowl if needed. Speed up the mixer and knead the dough for about 4 minutes. If it looks extra sticky, add a further 1/4 cup of flour and mix again for a minute or two. Flour varies due to humidity so just eyeball it.
4. Pull the dough out of the bowl and pat it into a ball. Drop it into a clean, oiled bowl and cover with a clean dry cloth.
5. Place the bowl somewhere warm and let it prove for 45 minutes.
6. The dough should rise well and come to the top of the bowl - if this doesn't happened then the result may not be good.
7. Tip out dough onto floured surface (preferably a baking sheet) and give it a quick knead, pushing and turning for about a minute. Shape into a neat ball.
8. Weigh the dough ball. Divide the figure by 12 (mine was 1082gms /12 = 90gms per roll.
9. Now, without adding any more flour to the surface, roll each into a nice round ball, cupping it under your palm and rolling it in a circular motion.
10. Place on a paper lined baking tray. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise for further 25 minutes. After 15 minutes, set your oven at 200C and heat for remaining 10 minutes.
11. Place rolls in oven and set timer for 10 minutes. Rotate 180 degrees and bake a further 5-8 minutes, until golden. Bases should be golden and rolls sound hollow when tapped.
12. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. I freeze mine in freezer bags, in pairs. To thaw, microwave for 25 secs then heat in oven until crunchy. Enjoy!
Cheers - Joolz xx