Sunday, July 6, 2014

Dried apricot jam ...

I've been in a preserving kind of mood this week...

I made this jam using Australian dried apricots, not the Turkish plump ones. These give a nice tart taste to the sweet jam...

I got the apricots ready in the morning then cooked the jam when I got home from work.

~

Dried Apricot Jam

500gms dried apricots

1.5 kgs sugar

Juice of one lemon

~

I snipped each apricot in half using clean kitchen scissors. Place the apricots in a large saucepan or pot and cover with 2.25 lites of boiling water. Let them soak for at least 8 hours.

Now simmer gently for about 1 hour. Add the sugar and lemon juice, stirring contantly until dissolved.

Boil rapidly until the jam sets, stirring frequently. Test by putting a saucer in the freezer. Drop a spoonful of jam on it, return to freezer for a few minutes. When you run your finger through it, it should wrinkle and not be runny.

Pour jam into sterilised jars and seal while hot.

Seriously yummy on fresh bread and butter!

- Joolz xx

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joolz, I recently came across your blog via another Aussie craft blog I read and just wanted to drop by and say how much I've enjoyed reading through your recent posts. I've since printed off some(lots, lol) new recipes and look forward to giving them a try sometime. best wishes, Katrina in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.