Sunday, December 8, 2013

Christmas Gingerbread ...

 

After making the Candy Cane cookies and Cherry Shortbreads earlier in the week, I also made a big batch of what we call Sookie St James chocolate chip cookies (remember Sookie from Gilmore girls?). They have milk, dark and white choc in them plus a hit of coffee! Brianna took them to work at the hospital to share with everyone on her shift.
I made the gingerbread dough on Thursday but let it rest in the fridge until Friday when I started rolling it out. It doesn't take long to cook so I soon had lots of stars and trees to decorate.

 

I used a recipe for Royal Icing which is 1 cup of icing sugar, 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 egg white. Whip the egg white until frothy but firm then add in the juice and icing sugar and beat until smooth. I did add a little more icing sugar so it was a bit stiffer.

 

What do you think of my Aussie biscuits? I was really pleased with these. After about an hour, I had red and green icing dripping off me and most surfaces in my kitchen, oh my!
~
Most of the cookies were given away on Friday to the girls at the bank where I go each day, a bag to the girls at the post office and some are winging their way to a far off destination! Joolz's December of Cookies! I have more batches to make this coming week.
-
Next up, a gluten free Christmas Fruit cake which I am giving as a present.
Cheers - Joolz xx

 

3 comments:

  1. I love those Aussie biscuits! You've decorated them beautifully as well. What a terrific idea. I must google for those biscuit cutters as they'd make a fun gift over here. As an aside, my dog would have been overjoyed to help you "clean up" the kitchen afterwards - icing is something she loves :-)

    We mostly make ginger thins over here. They're not quite the same as the gingerbread I remember from Australia, but still very yummy. One makes the dough, then you rest it for at least a day. I generally make a big batch in late November, then keep it in the fridge in portions wrapped in gladwrap. You can then quickly roll out a small amount and make fresh ginger thins all December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The decorations are fantastic. The Aussie shortbread is a cute and I bet delicious addition to your baking collection. We made salt dough shortbread today; it took hours!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.