Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Flat out like a lizard drinking!

In Australia, we have some funny sayings. When we say "I've been flat out like a lizard drinking" it means we have been really busy. Other sayings similar to this are "as busy as a one legged man in an ass kicking competition or as busy as a one armed brick layer in Baghdad...
~
 Our Weight Watchers group hosted a tastings night at our last meeting.  Four committee members bought along healthy food that could be taken to a barbecue or gathering.  This lovely fruit platter and low fat vanilla yoghurt dipping sauce (I always eat fruit if it's cut up for me!)...
~
 Roast pumpkin & cashew dip with wholemeal rice crackers...
~
 The layered Italian dip that I made...
~
 and a cucumber, tomato and mint salsa.   This can be spooned over a piece of barbecued steak or grab a tub of cottage cheese (whiz it in the food processor to remove the lumps, add it back into the tub) and upend it onto a platter.  Top with the salsa and enjoy with crackers or celery/carrot sticks.
~
 I had an allergic reaction to something (perfume, I think) and my neck came up in this red, angry, hot itchy rash.  It was quite unbearable!  I had some Diprosone ointment that I use on my lips if they ever flare up so I consulted our pharmacist and he said to use that and some anti-histimines.  (I was having my hair coloured when I took this selfie!)
~
 Within 6-8 hours it had calmed down to this but even a week later, there is still evidence of redness.  I have not been using any perfume on my neck, just a small spray on my wrists.
~
 A yummy dinner that I made last week was these Thai Chicken Cakes (which I have made before) - recipe from Taste.com is here
~
 I made a nice tossed salad with lettuce mix, mandarin segments, tomatoes, cranberries and cucumber.  Pretty, isn't it?

 More prettiness!  These are the colours I picked to do a granny square knee rug for Kirby with.  Still struggling to do a square without watching the tutorial.  I need to find a pattern that is written out plainly.  Onwards!
~
 Sunday, I made a big pot of pumpkin and vegetable soup (which we enjoyed on Monday at the 60th).  This soup is so easy and was enjoyed by all.  Big chunk of pumpkin, 2 carrots, 1 onion, 2 medium zucchini, 1 large potato and a big tablespoon of chicken stock powder, crack of pepper and salt to taste at the end.  Cover the vegetables with just enough water and bring to the boil.  Turn down and simmer for 30 minutes or so.  Whizz with a stick blender when the veggies are tender.  I serve it with a dob of sour cream in the middle.
~
 Sunday night dinner was this delicious lamb curry.  It just never fails to please.  My biggest problem was that I didn't have any of my homemade naan bread in the freezer.  Must make some more.
~
 Very satisfying!
~
Last night, I made more no-knead bread rolls from Regina's blog - they turned out lovely - I made 11 in all.
~
They freeze well and just need 5-7 minutes in a hot oven to thaw and crisp up...
~
 Today, I am feeling a bit like Bonnie - tired!  We are having a Chicken Caesar Salad for dinner, nice and easy.  There's lots on TV tonight too - Dancing with the Stars, Beauty and the Geek, Great British Bake Off and Recipes to Riches...  I will have my work cut out, flipping channels and taping some of it!  What's been going on in your house?  Any cooking? Any crocheting? What are your favourite TV shows?  I'd love to know!
~
Cheers - Joolz xx

3 comments:

  1. lovely post, Joolz...sometimes we think we've done nothing but looking back like this shows that we did plenty. The rolls look especially good and lamb?? well I love it curried too
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joolz, that neck rash looks really fierce. Hope you find out if it was the perfume as you don't want it happening again ( it could also be something you ate or touched in the garden? )
    Thank you for sending me to Pip's blog to see her flower garden quilt. I didn't know about her blog so have added it to my list.
    I love looking at your food photos and checking out the recipes especially the vege ones. I am always on the look out for new ideas of what to eat and how to prepare the fruit, nuts and veges we grow in an interesting way.
    Hugs from Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your food looks so delicious and colourful. I hope the rash on your neck goes away soon.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.