Thursday, October 17, 2013

Beef with Cashews ...


I made this stir fry last night - lots of fresh, crisp vegetables and a small piece of rump steak (I have given up buying 'stir-fry beef' after being disappointed time and again with tough, tasteless beef).
~
Beef with cashews
Oil for cooking
500g lean beef, cut into thin strips
1 small onion, thin wedges
1 tspn minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup red capsicum, cut into thin strips
1 cup snow peas, sliced
1/2 cup sweet corn, I used frozen
1 small zucchini, sliced
(you can also add broccoli but I omitted this time)
handful of bean shoots
handful of mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup oyster sauce
2 generous tbsn plum sauce (I used SPC brand, nicely spiced)
3/4 cup roasted cashews
~
Rice - cooked, ready to serve. I use absorption method. 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water. Place in saucepan and bring to a rapid boil. Stir so rice is not sticking to bottom of pan. Now place lid on and turn off the heat, leaving the residual heat of the element to cook the rice. Don't stir it again. 18-20 minutes later you will have perfectly cooked/steamed rice.
~
Add oil to pan and get it nice and hot. Fry off steak in two batches. Remove from pan.
Fry off onion for a few minutes then add garlic and ginger.  Add remaining veggies and stir fry 3 minutes until tender but still crisp.  I usually add a little water to help steam them a bit.  Add sauces and stir through.  Return beef to the pan and stir for 1 minute.  Mix in the cashews and serve with fluffy rice immediately.
~
It's very quick to make and has great flavour. This fed two and we have lunch for today. Add more veggies and you could feed 6 easily. Give it a try!
~
Aren't these Gold Bunny roses just beautiful? I pilfered them from my Mum's unit (not the aged care facility where she lives). :)
~
We have mid-winter weather here today, its back to 14C. I heard the front come through this morning at 5 o'clock, first the wind rustled in then rain and a bit of hail. I am sick of the changeable weather, just some nice spring days would be good!
~
Cheers - Joolz xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.