Friday, November 11, 2011

Lest we forget...

Remembrance Day - at the eleventh hour, on the eleventh day, of the eleventh month in this eleventh year of the 21st Century - we will remember them...
~
Why do I wear a poppy?
I’ll tell you if I may,
because I believe remembrance is not only for one day.
.
I wear it for the fallen,
And for those falling still,
for those who come back broken in body or in will.
.
For the parents, spouses,
siblings where bereavement takes its toll.
Whose pain will never leave them, It eats into their soul.
.
For the wino on the corner, in a life with nothing left,
he wishes when in battle he had died a hero’s death.
.
For the lad who loved a kick-about in the park with all his mates,
But now his legs are held together with pins and metal plates.
.
For the selfless men and women whose final journey home
Is in a Union flag-draped coffin on comrades’ shoulders borne.
.
For all those marching proudly In Remembrance Day parades,
My poppy’s worn in gratitude for sacrifices they have made.
~
(Author Unknown)

Outback Tania had this verse on her facebook page the other day and I just couldn't help sharing it with you all. Thank you, Tania!
~
Today at 11 minutes past 11 o'clock it will be 11.11am 11/11/11

1 comment:

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.