Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 1 of my 30-Day Junk Food Throw Down...

My weight as of August 31, 2009
*
Pumpkin & Vegetable soup just starting to boil and before it is whizzed - nearly zero calories.
*
There are 5 of these books to collect - I have all of them. Do yourself a favour and get them.
*
Okay, so this is my first day of the next 30 days to come!
*
I weighed myself this morning and I weigh 73.5 kgs in my bras and knickers. That is about 162 lbs for those people in the US. It is not a pretty sight. I have long skinny legs but a roly-poly barrell tummy. It can only get better from here...
*
I woke up at 5.45am and I went for a 5 km walk with KP around our usual route. This takes us about 45-50 minutes. We just made it home before the heavens opened.
*
Breakfast - 1 large glass fresh squeezed orange juice (thanks, Angus!)
1/2 cup Just Right cereal, 1/2 cup Special K and 1/2 cup skim milk and 1 small
banana, sliced on top.
Cup of coffee with skim milk and Hermasetas sweetner,
then an hour or so later, 1 small slice toast with Flora Light marg and vegemite, glass of water.
*
Off to work then home again at 12.30pm after shopping for lovely fresh produce - I even bought carrots with the green tops on them (note: twice the price of bagged ones) - you can tell they are straight out of the ground and not out of cold storage that way. I bought potatoes with dirt still on them, green and butter beans ready to steam, sweet corn on the cob and broccoli.
*
Lunch - 2 slices Molenberg Soy & Linseed bread, ham, tomato, lettuce, grated carrot, slice Kraft Free Cheese (oops - processed but nearly zero fat!) & pepper. 1 Banana & 2 glasses of water.
*
Dinner - I bought 500 gms beef mince which I will turn into Annette Sym's Rippa Rissoles - get the recipe here. We'll eat them with mashed potato, carrots, beans and corn. Seriously, Annette's books are very good for cutting out fat and sugar from your diet. It is amazing what she substitutes in the recipes. They are worth buying.
*
When I get home from work at 4pm, that is my 'witching hour' when I am likely to pig out on cheese, savoury biscuits etc. Today I got home and got stuck into making some Pumpkin & Vegetable soup - big chunk of pumpkin, any kind; 2 carrots; 1 potato; stick of celery; 1 medium zucchini; 1 onion; 2 tblspn chicken stock powder & pepper to taste. Put all chopped veggies in a stock pot, cover with water and add stock poweder and pepper. Bring to boil then simmer for about 1/2 an hour. Blitz with a Bamix or stab blender. This is a good soup to grab a mug of when you are hungry and perhaps waiting for dinner. There are virtually zero calories in it. For me, it's the difference between raiding the fridge for some cheese or something worse!
*
Next I prepared the Rippa Rissoles. This kept me busy while the soup was cooking. They can be made earlier in the day and kept in the fridge until it's time to cook them in the fry pan. Dear easy and really yummy. Great for hiding vegetables if you have fussy kiddos.
*
That's day one nearly over - how did you do today?
*
Cheers - Joolz
*
Visit: www.30daythrowdown.blogspot.com

6 comments:

  1. Well, I had Weetbix, weetharts, (is that how you spell them?) sultanas & milk, tea.

    5 slices of bread, name me mite on 4 (actually I am getting sick of it, unless you need fresher bread), cheese, tea.

    Turkey burger, bun, lettuce, tomato, cranberry sauce.

    And uh oh, two as far as I remember very large muffins, well they felt large after the second, with strawberry jam inside, a doughnut muffin. Tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee whiz, how funny is this, it starts tomorrow for me! Tues is Sept 1st in these parts. I won't dare share the big weigh-in, but I'm ready, I have to be, my jeans don't fit anymore. Will be cutting up watermelon tonight. Luckily today is my 24 th anniversary and not tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, after the day I had yesterday, I didn't eat a thing all day and I certainly wasn't in the mood to fix dinner.
    So I kind of cheated and bought a Dominos Caesar Salad for dinner... but that's all healthy stuff, right?

    I had Weetbix with a banana for breakfast this morning, and I'll be having lots of raw veggies with cheese for lunch.

    This all seems a bit daunting right now, but it's nice to know that I'm in such good company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joolz! I am soooo terrible at following a meal plan, so I am just going to try and cut out sugar...I love fruit and veggies and have started a new excersise plan, I am going to a dance class called ZUMBA I will be posting it on my blog the next couple of days. It is a FUN class that totally has exhausted me and I am so sore I feel like I could die! But I am sticking to it! Same starting weight! I want to shed at least 25lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Joolz, you weigh exactly my weight (that's what my dishonest scales told me this morning) and I have the roly poly tummy problem as well.

    I would like to shed at least 5kg, but more would be a bonus. I have seen these books in the local newsagent, will have a better look next time I am there.

    Good luck and keep us posted.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it!!!!! I need to do it, heaven knows, but right now I need my pepsi to get me through all this stress of moving clear across the world. :) Maybe when I get to Japan I can start it.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.