Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mini Lamb Pot Pies

It's been wild and woolly around these parts, although not as bad as in Adelaide. We've had over 45mls of rain since yesterday morning with more to come. I felt like something hearty for dinner last night so I concocted my own lamb pie recipe.
*
MINI LAMB POT PIES
*
800gms diced lamb, I used lamb steaks
1 large carrot, finely diced
1 large onion, finely diced
2 sticks celery, finely diced
(did you know that these 3 vegies combined and used this way is called a mirepoix (French, pronounced mirra-pwar)
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tspn dry mixed herbs or a combination of oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary etc.
olive oil for frying off
1/2 cup red or white wine to deglaze
1 sachet Maggi Roast Lamb & Rosemary gravy
1.5 cups water
*
Sautee the carrot, onion & celery gently in a little olive oil until tender and the onion is clear. It shouldn't brown too much.
Deglaze the pan with the wine. Remove vegetables to another bowl. Add more oil and brown the lamb in batches so it doesn't stew. Return the vegies to the pan, add the gravy powder and water. Turn heat right down and simmer gently for approx. 1 hour, adding a little more water if necessary. This could be put in a casserole and slow cooked if you have the time. When the lamb is really tender, spoon mixture into ramekins, top with a round of puff or short crust pastry, brush with milk and bake until pastry is golden brown.
Serve with mashed potatoes, greens and extra pastry rounds (to sop up the gravy!).
Delish!
*
It's Spaghetti & Meatballs Bolognese tonight with Apple Crumble to follow - winter comfort food.
*
Cheers - Joolz

3 comments:

  1. They look delicious. I've never seen Maggi gravy mix here in Canada, I'll have to look for it.
    Blessings,
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I truely wish is that I had an imagination with cooking! I envy anyone who loves to cook! I subscribe to, read, look at the pretty pictures of wonderful cooking magazines and DO NOTHING WITH THEM! I am just not a cooker! ARGH! I love to see what everyone else can come up with and then....scratch my head EVERY EVENING wondering what to make for dinner....YOUR meal looks wonderful! and I BOW down to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you been watchin Masterchef? They look beautiful, I bet they tasted beautiful as well, just right for the cold weather. We only managed to get about 15mm of rain here, still can't complain it all helps.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.