Thursday, February 22, 2018

Starting Weight Watchers...


I have joined WW Online - which I can access on my pc, iPad and iPhone.  If you join at the moment, the first month is just $1.00 then 6 months for $35.50/month (online option).  This gives you access to hundreds of recipes which use SpartPoints, you track your food points throughout the day and it encourages you to earn FitPoints when you exercise.
Based on my weight, height and aim to lose weight, it calculates how many points you get to eat each day.  You build your meals using the Tracker.  
~
I started Monday night, after we got home from Adelaide.  I’m “shedding for the wedding” don’t ya know! 😉
I chose this Waldorf salad to team with a pork steak.  Simple and delicious. 

I need to go through my pantry next.  So many things that you think are okay for snacks, really aren’t.  This tint packet of dried fruits is 6 SmartPoints! All fruit are zero points so I’d be better off eating a banana or apple or cutting up a mango.
~
While these are a better option than a cheeseburger if your peckish (I really like these)...the Oat Slice is 8 SP and the nut bar and protein bar are 6 SP each. Hmmm, healthy but loaded with sugar.
~
I raided our recycling bin for foods we’ve consumed.  That Tuna mornay (which I had on Monday for lunch as it was convenient) - OMG! A whopping 23 points! That is my whole daily allowance of points! 
Gus has the fruits each morning on his cereal. Not too bad but maybe he could cut back to 2-3 times a week. The iced coffee (an SA icon) is bad at 12 points.  We don’t have that often but one is nice when travelling.  Not anymore!
Tuesday’s lunch was this WW meal which I quite like.  I boosted the veggies by grating half a carrot into it then heating.  This is 8 points (much better than that mornay at 23!)...
~
Gus was away Tuesday night but I felt like something nice so I made this Turkey Shepherds Pie with pumpkin and sweet potato topping...
I would normally make something like Mac n Cheese Deluxe (bad!) or chow mien (no so bad) - I have just looked and there are beef and pork chow mien options (9 points) and several Macaroni & Cheese recipes...stay tuned, I'll let you know what I think of those.
~

I chunky chopped the veggies (using my Dicer Express).  Carrots, celery, onion, carrot, capsicum, mushrooms, zucchini....
~

It cooks away with a can of tomatoes, Worcestershire and tomato sauces, chicken stock until it has reduced.  It is thickened with a bit of cornflour.
~
The topping is just mashed sweet potato and pumpkin (which I steamed)...no added butter or milk! And no cheese! 
~
This was delicious and will become a winter favourite, I’m sure.
~
I got walking yesterday too.  I haven’t walked since before Christmas...
~

Ah, the old boob squasher is in town!  I’m booked for a breast screen on 28th Feb.  I have a mammo every two years in even years and pap smears in odd years (although I think they are going to 5 years between tests now)...
~
Our town roundabout...
~
~
Breakfast yesterday morning....eggs are free points! The Burgen soy-lin bread is 2 points each slice plus 2 points for the butter spread.
~

I had to go to Mt G yesterday so I took a banana and an apple that I’d sliced up on the mandolin.  Apple chips to snack on!
~
Cheers - Joolz xx

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with it all, Joolz. There's a lot of hidden sugar in lots of everyday processed foods. I find too that there are many recipes that can be made just as successfully with far less sugar than the recipe states. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There sure is, Meg. The scanner helps you instantly work out Smart Points and shows you the nutritional value panel on the pack for future reference. I can scan what I like at the supermarket then choose to buy it later if it fits into my points plan. Or I can choose to leave a product on the shelf because it is way too high in points - like that Tuna Mornay - a real no no!

      Delete
  2. Much success with your progress! A good friend of mine works for WW, and I just talked to her a couple of weeks ago about the new program. WW has always been my favorite of the group options; it seems healthier to me. Also preparing and eating 'real' food seems more sustainable. Of course back in the 70s when my mother attended, I hated the goofy things they used to do as she made us have them at home...powdered milk...homemade catsup (basically thickened tomato juice with cinnamon as I recall, ugh). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WW works because you eat real food not packaged portions which will doom you to fail the minute you dont have them. Same with shakes diets. I’ve never tried one yet!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the weight loss, a wedding makes a good incentive. I follow Michael Mosley's 5:2 and CSIRO. Both excellent but rely on cooking from scratch. The engagement party looked wonderful. Best for future. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also back at Weight Watchers Joolz.

    Over the years it is the only thing that has consistently worked for me with regard to weight management and my constant yo-yo weight gain/loss is not good, particularly as I am nearing 54 years old.

    I like the convenience of WW as we do like to eat out and it gives me options that I can have and still enjoy myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I turn 54 this year too - eek!

      Delete
    2. Terrifying isn’t it - I can remember my 50th like it was yesterday 😀

      Delete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.