Saturday, August 26, 2017

The heart of the matter...



So, back on Thursday 1st June, I was at work, at my desk, when I felt my heart shift gears and start beating fast.
I have had this happen twice before, back 3 years ago in 2014 and also in 2012.  
I felt no pain or dizziness and just sat for a few minutes thinking it would subside. After about 10 minutes, I went and told one of the staff what was going on. After 20 minutes, I called my sister who lives close by and got her to take me up to the hospital, which is less than a kilometre from work.  I rang and let them know I was coming in.
Of all days, husband had gone to Adelaide to deliver a vehicle so he wasn't around.
.
As soon as I got to hospital, I was put in the emergency room where there are monitors and machines. I was hooked up with all that spaghetti of wiring you can see and they ran an ecg (electrocardiograph) and were quite alarmed that it was sitting around 180bpm, a tad too fast!
.
I had a canular put in both arms, one for bloods to be taken and the other for IV fluids to be run through.  After about 40 minutes, the Dr decided to try getting my heart back to normal by injecting a drug called Adenosine which decreases heart rate. They prepared me by attaching pads to either side of my chest in case I needed defibrillation as the adenosine effectively slows the heart right down before the rhythm goes back to normal - or so they hope!  The doctor said 'this is a very serious procedure and you will have the feeling of impending doom as we push the drug in and your heart will basically stop before resuming normal rhythm.  The feeling should only last for seconds.' I asked what happens if it doesn't work and he said 'that is what the shock pads are for!'...
Had it not worked, they would have given a second dose then another drug if that also failed.
.
So they injected the 6mg adenosine followed by a rapid push of fluid to hasten the response. I did feel a bit woozy for a few seconds then immediately I could feel my heart slowing down.  This took several minutes and even then it wasn't right back down to normal. 
.
So I spent the night in hospital with no further events and was discharged the next morning.  One thing I did organise later, was a hospital bag (I used to laugh at my Mum, who always had one packed). My sister had to fumble around a dark, strange house, trying to find knickers, pyjamas and toiletries, medication and my cpap machine for me! I now have a bag packed with general toiletries, night wear, slippers and thongs (for showering).
.
I visited my GP the following week who referred me to a cardiologist.  I saw him on August 8 and after viewing my ecg records from the hospital stay, diagnosed me with having Supraventricular Tachycardia. He then told me that I could have a procedure to fix it. It is called a
Electrophysiology Study and Radio Frequency Abalation
And the details are 
.
Also, little bit about Supraventricular tachycardia
.
So, I got a phone call yesterday saying I can have the procedure done on Monday 4th September in Adelaide at Flinders Private Hospital.

Eek!
Cheers - Joolz xx

11 comments:

  1. Joolz, I have a friend who has had the same experience and ended up in hospital on holidays. The doctor has put her on medication and so far so good. Apparently her heart is in good shape and it is just an electrical problem with it as regards her heartbeat. It must be frightening though....especially if you don't have a hospital bag packed :-) I used to laugh at my mother about that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a bit daunting travelling to the US and Bermuda, wondering if it might happen again. Last thing I wanted was a hospital stay over there!

      Delete
  2. Wow you've had a busy few months. I had a hospital stay last year and needed to buy underwear before I went in the next day. Good luck with the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just reading your link about the procedure. It is explained so well with a lot of detail which is good. I hope all goes well for you. One thing you won't have to do is pack your hospital bag now - all done. I was rushed to hospital almost two years ago and was admitted for 15 days. I was so glad when my clean underwear and pyjamas arrived. You would think I'd learn from that experience and have a little bag ready - nope.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing all the best with the procedure. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best for your op. I hope it goes well and your back to normal soon.
    Best wishes Julie D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about that. I do hope it all goes well for you. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have been very unnerved traveling...I bow to your exceptional grit! Wishing you a spirit of calm confidence while you are waiting. So thankful for modern medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness Joolz!
    Wishing you all the best for your procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, aren't you supposed to slow down as you become older, not speed up! It is good that there is medication and a procedure that can be done to correct this. Wishing you a good hospital stay and an easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does sound a bit scary! Glad you are ok....will keep reading to find out how the procedure went!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.