Sunday, August 2, 2015

Crusty white loaf...

I have been itching to try my cane bannetons that I first saw on http://shadybaker.blogspot.com.au
~
I purchased them from


I had seen pictures of these forms and had always thought they were made of clay but in fact they are cane.
~

~
 
Before use, the bannetons need to be conditioned.  Using a spray bottle of water, lightly spray the inside then dust with a bit of flour then tip out the excess...
~
Now it is ready to use.  Next time, I'll repeat the process so there is always a film of flour on it.
~
I made my dough (after pulling a clanger with the first batch - I couldn't work out why the dough wasn't coming together in my mixer - it was so dry! Maybe it was something to do with the fact I had left out 200mls of water). Anyway, the next batch was good.
~
After 45 minutes rising...
~
I tipped it out onto kitchen paper and let it rise a further 25 mintes while my dutch oven heated up in a 230C oven...
~
I plopped it in and put the lid on...
30 minutes in that hot oven...
~
After 30 minutes, now leave the lid off and bake another 15 minutes...
~
....and ta dah!
~
A lovely loaf...
~
Now, where's the butter and Vegemite??
~
Cheers - Joolz xx
 

 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my that looks good! You got such beautiful results! I have bannetons, too, that I use from time to time. I stopped into a very expensive cooking store when shopping for them and then went home and checked Amazon where I found the same items, same brand, for about 1/3 the price. They've lasted several years now. I usually make four small loaves in pans (they equal two standard loaves), though, for our use. I get out the bannetons when we will have company and I am sowing off. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Joolz. I bet it was yummy too.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.