Saturday, January 31, 2015

Jobs around the house...

I'm doing some home jobs today, things that have been put off for too long.  How often do you give your wheelie bins a bit of a clean? Me? Not often enough.
~
When they got emptied on Thursday, I got the hose and put about a foot of water in then put in about a cup of PineOKleen and gave it a good swish with an old broom. Then I left it until today. 
~
Today, I got right in there with the broom and got all the muck off then gave it a fresh rinse out and drained the water out.
I then lined it with sheets of newspaper to stop other nasties sticking.
 ~
Next job, my poor standard roses. They haven't been dead headed since they first bloomed back in November!
~
Just look at all the spent heads!
~
That's better.  It took me about 40 minutes to do them all.
~
I should get another good flush of flowers judging by the new growth.
~
There's still a few weeds but Gus will spray them tomorrow.
~
Out the back didn't look much better. I got stuck in weeding then dead heading the carpet roses.,,
~

Bonnie was there to help me...
~
It's starting to look better...
~

~
~
~
~

After that effort, I earned myself a break - chai tea and some of my Christmas fruit cake .
~
Then the dreaded task of putting away the Christmas tree and decorations. It took me an hour and a half! But it is done!
~
I then cleaned out my gift paper/cellophane/tissue paper/ribbon box. All ribbon oddments went into the big glass jar so I can see what I've got.
~
Not sure what to do next - maybe some peanut butter cookies?
Cheers - Joolz xx



4 comments:

  1. We have to wash one green bin out weekly. Our council implemented a new bin system last year or the year before. When they first did it we just about needed a PhD to put the rubbish out. We have to watch guests because if they put the wrong thing in the wrong bin we get a stick on it saying it was contaminated. One green bin for household scraps, anything that can be eaten or was eaten, garden waste and anything that can be turned into organic mulch (like scraps of timber). This goes out once a week and especially in summer it is disgusting even though we freeze meat and bones and put them in the night it is collected and our chickens get the table/kitchen scraps. The council also supplied us with a bucket for the kitchen so that this could be emptied into the green bin. It was obviously designed by someone who had no taste because of the colour combo. They have recently started to supply bags to line the bucket. Then there is a red one for the household stuff that's not organic, this goes out one fortnight. We also have a huge yellow bin that is for recycling which goes out the other fortnight. I wasn't really happy with the new system but can now see the merit of it but during summer the green bins not pleasant.

    Now if your looking for something to do you could pop over and do my roses and weeding lol. But just remember it goes in the green bin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yes! We have green bins too and they get putrid as they go out fortnightly. Our red bin is for general household waste (weekly) then we also have a yellow recycling bin for bottles, cans, plastics and paper ( fortnightly). In South Australia, we have a 10cent refubd on most drink bottles, cartons and beer stubbies. I can take them to the local recycle depot and cash them in. Well worth doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no problem with bin washing here. We don't have bins. I wish we did.
    I think you deserved your cuppa and cake Joolz. And bonnie looks like a great helper.
    Your garden is looking lovely.
    I'm going to post a letter off to you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've had a fabulously busy day, I'm sure you must be feeling very satisfied with your achievements. Your garden looks fab and the roses will love the dead heading. I noticed a cute owl ornament in your garden.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.