Friday, November 14, 2014

Christmas is looming...

 I just can't get into the Christmas swing this year.  I haven't bought one gift yet.  My girls usually prefer money now plus a few stocking stuffers that I get them.  Gus is a hard one, I never know what to get him.  There are a few rellies to buy for too.  I have a Christmas Club account that has a good balance in it so that takes the stress off a bit.
~
Living in a small country town makes it difficult to do spontaneous Christmas shopping.  We have no Myer, David Jones, Westfield Shopping centres.  I work every day and our regional centre is 50kms away.  Even there, there is only Target, K-Mart and BigW.  We do have a few gift shops in our town but you can't always find what you want.
~
This year  we (the four of us) are going to Melbourne for our Christmas so I will not be with my side of the family for lunch.  This will be strange as I have always done that but this is year it's Gus' turn.  His elderly auntie and his mum are staying in Melbourne and his brother and sister-in-law are going as well so we will join them for lunch at a fancy hotel.  Lunch will be awesome with all the trimmings and No Washing Up or headaches over preparation! Score!
~
One thing I have decided to do is make the Christmas pudding for all my sisters to enjoy.  I've been making it for the past couple of years with my Mum but she is no longer able to help as she has Alzheimers disease.  So the fruit (above) has been plumped with 1/2 a cup of brandy and I may make the pudding this weekend.
Christmas Day without that pudding, brandy custard and cream would not be right.
~
One thing we will be doing, is going to the Boxing Day
Test to watch Australia v India...

We did this one other year in 2008.  That year we had lunch with my family then drove over to Melbourne in the afternoon so we were there for the Test on Boxing Day.
~
Logistically, we will have to take some food to have on Christmas night as no shops/restaurants will be open.  Probably just some cold meats and salads that we can take in eskies and nibbles.  From then on we have all the restaurants in Melbourne at our mercy over the coming days!
 Of course, Kirby wants to do some shopping on the Saturday morning!
~
Of course, I will do my usual Christmas baking of biscuits and goodies.  I just bought a totally unneccessary lovely new book called Sweet Things....
~
Look at this yummy Chocolate Salami - its definitely on my to do list!  There are lots of toffee, fudge, caramels, marshmallow goodies in the book so I will be trying some of those too.
~
What are you doing for Christmas?  Big family do or just a small soiree??  

Are you in a bit of a Christmas funk?

Cheers - Joolz



7 comments:

  1. I just got off the phone after talking to my aunt. She's normally in the Christmas spirit by now and she's finding it hard to find the spirit this year. I've got some presents which is so unlike me. Our daughter wants money this year so that's easy. The rest I'm hoping will mysteriously appear wrapped and ready to go lol. Husband has to work away so we going with him and my family will join us there on Christmas day, we do the meats and desserts they bring ths salad a d nibbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas always seems to come together in the end, no matter what. It's good when everyone pitches in with food, so much easier - that's how we work it.

      Delete
  2. I'm begging off of Christmas responsibilities this year. I think the chances of our kitchen being completed by then is about 0.01%. I told my daughter she has to feed us this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart tactic, Kath - kitchen reno's in November! Offer to make the eggnog!

      Delete
  3. my big shops are a lot further then that.......................I always thought I had to go to the big shops for xmas shopping.............but about 8 years ago I stopped........when you look you really can find goodies for everyone............there was an odd presents I couldn't get but all up I do really well...........and the money stays in local businesses.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do try to shop locally too. I just don't have the leisurely time to go looking. Usually with 2 weeks to go I get stuck into it!

      Delete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.