Thursday, August 7, 2014

Tweaking my health...

I've been trying to drink more tea than coffee lately. Not that I am a heavy coffee drinker - maybe 1-2 cups a day, sometimes none!
This is a new Earl Grey type that I tried and its very nice.
~
Monday, I had a pamper session. gus had given me a voucher for my birthday in 2013 for a half hour upper body massage and a 1.5 hour deluxe pedicure. I was in heaven! The massage was great but the pedi topped it off!
~
Perfectly pimped toes, all dead skin sloughed away (it helped that I'd had that other pedi just before my birthday this year - the girl thought my feet were too good to be true!
~
I have had a stiffness in my neck for over a month now so I finally got in to see a Naturapath and had some Bowen Therapy. It will take a few appointments before I get that neck fixed, but it has freed up a bit already.
I had a really good, comfortable nights sleep last night, waking at 5.30 thinking it must be time to get up!
~
The therapist also suggested I take Magnesium for cardivascular health and it can also lower blood pressure and maintain hydration of muscles and joints. I have to drink the powder dissolved in a glass of water, morning and night.
~
Dinner last night - my own recipe for curried baked rice - 1 cup Basmati rice, 2 cups of hot water, 1 teaspoon of curry powder and chicken stock powder, fresh corn cut off the cob, diced capsicum, grated carrot and zucchini and I had some spring onions wilting so they got tossed in too! Stir to combine, cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Check how its going, dob about 2 teaspoons of butter on it and give it a stir. Recover and bake a further 15-20 minutes until all is tender.
~
I made beef shasliks from a piece of rump steak and fried off in a large skillet. I served it with a quick from scratch satay sauce - yum, yummo! Recipe here:
~
I've been slack with our morning juicing so I made a nice one this morning... This pic is from another morning but its usually the same - orange, apple, carrot, celery and today I added a small fresh beetroot too. Power juice!
~
Rather than go for a walk early this morning, I set off after breakfast at 8.30am ... just a quick walk of 25 minutes. My poor knees and feet need to get used to pounding the roads again!
~
Past our swimming lake which is currently empty for winter...
~
Once home, I had a cup of organic tea which has licorice root, peppermint leaf and sweet fennell and basil in it ...
~
I should be jumping out of my skin! Now its time for work so hi ho, hi ho ...
~
~
Cheers - Joolz xx

11 comments:

  1. I just love reading your blog :) Your meals are always full of goodness, if only there was smell a blog! LOL
    Just a word of caution in regards to the tea that contains liquorice root, it can cause blood pressure to rise. Admittedly it could take a lot of liquorice root in tea to cause this but you can never be too careful.
    Blessings, Sami Jae,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip about licorice root. Funnily enough, I ended up with a fuzzy head and nasty headache today. Maybe I'll steer clear of that tea...

      Delete
  2. Hi Joolz - looks like you have your health plan sorted. Good luck with the walking, I'm about to get back into my regime too. Can't say I like Earl Grey, but I see they have a new licorice style variety so I might try that one too. cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should get out walking again too, but I have one really dodgy knee that I don't trust and worry I'll fall flat on my face whilst out walking. Food as ever looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For good health, try yoga. It is great for so many things including sore necks and such. See if there is a yoga class available for you to do.

    I have been taking magnesium tablets for a while, ever since going to a health forum held by Dr Cabot, she is brilliant! Epsom salts are magnesium, so if you have a nice soaking bath with it in, your body will absorb the magnesium. Now the weather has warmed up, I am back to eating healthier and exercising. Winter is a horrible time for me, I get so lazy and eat far too much food that is bad!!

    Take care of yourself Joolz,

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The naturopath that I saw actually conducts 2 yoga classes in our town each week. I plan to go to Tuesday's class next week. Right! That has made me accountable so I will have to blog about it, eh?!

      Delete
    2. Yes you will lol!

      I wanted to go to yoga here, but the only class available has been cancelled for now, drats!

      Delete
  5. Love the smell a blog idea. I have just been looking at different teas, starting with green tea for a while instead of coffee...and I must hit the pavement too. That rice looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been able to like green tea but some of the fruit teas are nice. I love a good peppermint tea.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving drinking alsorts of different tea, I went cold turkey on coffee a few months ago, it was fine after I got over the headaches. Cinnamon decreases heart pressure and licorice increases it Joolz. So a cinnamon tea would be good. I should book myself a pedi!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.