Thursday, October 18, 2012

Weekly happenings ...


My first rose buds this spring, aren't they pretty?  I am not sure what this rose is called, maybe Crimson Glow or something like that.  It is a standard rose but it does not do well in the bed that it is in because there is limestone not far underground.  I was surprised when these buds first popped.
~
Brianna came home on Tuesday with her Uni friend, Paige.  I made Cherry Shortbread biscuits for them.
~
I thought I wouldn't go back to work until Wednesday or Thursday - I wanted a few days home after our holiday to get the house in order and settle back in.  On Tuesday morning, I had decluttered my cutlery drawer...
~
and dusted my little table where I keep my perfumes and jewellery - I was on a roll.... then I got called in to work.  Two of our staff had to have carers leave to look after sick children so I had to go in.  Grrr!  So that was the end of my peaceful time nesting at home!
~
I did get my kitchen tidied before I left.
 ~
Brianna had requested steak for dinner so I made a Texas Spice Rub which I also blogged about in this post.
 ~
 Rubs are a great way to flavour meats - I spray with a little olive oil spray then sprinkle the rub on either side of the meat - let is soak up the flavours for at least an hour.  We had the steak with jacket baked potatoes with sour cream, a cauliflower/broccoli cheese bake and sweet corn and carrots.  Delicious!
~
I was very naughty and made Golden Syrup Dumplings - this is only the second attempt I have made at these.  My first attempt produced something that you could serve down the court at Wimbledon!  These were light and fluffy and very yummy!
~
Golden Syrup Dumplings:
1 cup SR flour
40 gms butter, chopped
1 egg
1 tablespoon of milk
.
For the syrup:
1 cup sugar
40 gms butter
2 big tablespoons golden syrup
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used orange juice and it was fine)
1.5 cups water
.
Sift the flour and a pinch of salt in a bowl.  Rub the butter into the flour until fine and crumbly.  Make a well in the centre.  Using a flat bladed knife, stir in the combined egg and milk to form a soft dough.  Do not over mix.
 ~
To make the syrup, put water in a large saucepan together with the sugar, butter, golden syrup and juice.  Stir over a low heat until combined and sugar dissolved.
~
Bring to the boil, then gently drop dessertspoons of the dough into the syrup.  Cover and reduce heat to a gentle simmer.  Cook for 20 minutes, or until a knife inserted into dumpling comes out clean.  DO NOT LIFT LID UNTIL 20 MINUTES ARE UP - otherwise dumplings can be stodgy.
~
Spoon onto serving plates and drizzle with more syrup.  Serve with cream.
~
I took this picture yesterday morning as the sun was just up and lighting up this big gum tree in our neighbour's yard.
~
I made up a jug of juice this morning - 2 oranges, 2 apples, 2 carrots, 1 stick of celery and a small raw beetroot.  There just isn't anything like freshly juiced fruit and veg!
~
Gus was gone early this morning so I enjoyed 2 big glasses all to myself!
~
Bummer of the week - I said to Gus last week that rather than get all new glasses and have the hassle of choosing new frames, I just get the lenses replaced.  Last night, I went to take them off and the arm just came off in my hand!  So new glasses it is!  Lucky I have a spare pair to see me through until I can order my new ones.
~
What have you been up to so far this week?
Cheers - Joolz

4 comments:

  1. Holidays are nice but it always a good feeling to get back home. Your juice looks very healthy. I can imagine how nice it must have been to have Brianna home for a visit, I am missing my uni student quite a bit(but it's only a little while until end of semester).
    I am a little envious of your gorgeous big kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love golden syrup dumplings.

    So glad you had a lovely holiday. At least you got some decluttering done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how our plans are often changed for us!

    I have loved reading about your Tassie trip. I was just looking at your hot air balloon photo and realised that we were driving along watching the same balloons on Sunday as we were on our way to the airport to drop my Bradley and our grandson off to fly to Adelaide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen those cookies in years, they look so good.....

    Gill

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.