Sunday, July 8, 2012

Coconut Chilli Chicken & Chocolate Impossible Pie...

All the ingredients assembled for the dish...
(links to both recipes are in my previous post)
~
Lemongrass, garlic, ginger, red chillies, fresh coriander and lime zest go into the food processor...
~
Then add fresh tomatoes, oil, fish sauce, soy sauce. I made the paste ahead of time so the flavours could 'get to know each other' ...
~
Heat oil in a pan and gently brown the chicken thigh fillets. Remove from pan and add in the spice paste and cook off for 2 minutes.
~
Nestle the chicken back into the sauce and add the coconut milk. Simmer for a further 20 minutes. Finally add juice of a lime, about 12 apricot halves (fresh if you have them) and toss in more fresh coriander. Let simmer a final 5 minutes ...
~
Serve with steamed rice. Gus had just driven home 400 kms and was looking for a hearty meal. He loved it and kept saying how fantastic it was. Just what every wife wants to hear, eh?
~
Onto dessert - this recipe had me running all over the kitchen. Food process the egg yolks, butter and sugar. Sift flour, salt and cocoa together in a bowl. Add flour then milk to butter mixture. Add in coconut, vanilla and cream. Beat egg whites to soft peaks in another bowl. Tip chocolate mixture into egg whites and fold in. Phew! I guess I need to read the recipe a bit better. I would have done the egg whites first and measured out things ready to go instead of doing each thing as I read it...
~
I made the pie before I started the chicken dish. It was souffle light when it came out of the oven and I think it's one of those dishes that is best served up straight away.
~
We had it about an hour after it came out of the oven so it had sunk a bit and lost it's lightness but it was still delicious. A tad too much coconut for my liking so next time I will knock it back to about 1/2 a cup of coconut or less. Brown sugar would also make it richer, I think. Will definitely be doing this again.
~
Well, I got out and pruned my standard roses out the front and do you know, it only took me about 20 minutes. All that putting off and BAM!, over in no time flat!
~I tidied up the outdoor pots too, weeding etc.
Do you like my sign?
~
Finally, a sunset from a few days ago - this is actually looking in the opposite direction to the setting sun - the clouds picked up a beautiful pink light.
~
I'm off to relax now - that 20 minutes of bending out in the cold has told me my back did not like it. I want to catch up on a MasterChef episode I missed on Thursday so it's couch time, baby!
~
Cheers - Joolz

3 comments:

  1. Both of these recipes sound amazing! I'm thinking that the Coconut Chilli Chicken sounds very much like a curry dish? I love coconut milk and I'll be trying this recipe soon! Is fresh coriander by any chance, what we in the US call cilantro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the sign, I want one lol. I've just pruned my roses too, I was surprised how quick i was, kids were asleep, so I was probably in a hurry to get it done. Have caught the garden cleanup bug this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenton is reading over my shoulder and thinks this is an awesome dinner/dessert combo and I have to agree, so looks like we will be trying these both over the weekend :]

    Ta darl
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.