Saturday, April 21, 2012

Food preparation...

I put on a big pot of pumpkin & vegetable soup - onion, celery and tops, carrot, potato, zucchini and pumpkin, salt & pepper & 1 litre of chicken stock and cup of water ...
~
Let it simmer away for 45 minutes...
~
Then I get out my trusty Bamix (stab blender) and blitz it until smooth. Adjust seasoning at this point - more salt & pepper or a bit of powdered chicken stock. When serving add a dollop of sour cream to each bowl and top with fresh chives...
~
I also made a small batch of sausage rolls (2 dozen) - My mum turns 82 on Monday so I am hosting a pooled lunch for here with my 4 sisters. So we'll start with soup and my homemade bread rolls then progress to the sausage rolls, a chicken platter and savoury toasties. My sister Leanne is doing a fruit, nut and chocolate platter for dessert. Not sure what others are bringing but there will be about 14 of us, including 3-4 of mums good friends. I plan to do a cup cake tower for her cake. Should be a hoot!
~
I've got dough in my bread maker that's rising then I'll take it out, knead it some more and form my rolls which I will then freeze until Monday - otherwise Gus will eat them!
~
This is the dough when it's finished rising in the bread maker...
~
Now I knead it for about 8-10 minutes... then cut, roll and shape into rolls, brush with water ... sit in a warm place (oven) for 15 minutes for second rise....
~
... then into a 2ooC oven for 10-15 minutes until golden and they feel hollow when you tap them... so good!
~
I think new Blogger stinks is too hard for me to work out! Have uploaded pictures and can't make them appear... :( so I have reverted back to the old interface and it works perfectly for me! What am I doing wrong??
~
Having a lovely weekend so far - just pottering. I washed all the sheets off all beds from last weekend and remade them, washed Bri's doona cover and remade her bed fresh for her next visit home. A bit of gardening/potting out tomorrow to tidy up for the visitors and maybe some windows will get washed. It is just spitting with rain here - oh, how I wish we'd get a good inch of rain tonight! What are you up to? I might go and pick up my knitting and do a few rows...and have a wine!
~
Cheers - Joolz

10 comments:

  1. Loathe the new blogger with a passion and when I switched back to the old it took me back to not what we have been using of late but the version prior to that lol sigh!

    Hope your luncheon goes well, those bread rolls look so delish, could never give up carbs lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you are as busy as usual Joolz. was really hoping for some rain tonight too.
    I'm busy crocheting hot water bottle covers for our next trip away in the campervan for the June long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the new blogger for the first time with my last post, and it was very different, but I do like the super large photos and mine did upload ok, with some new learning on my part...I think I will persevere for a little longer and see if I can master it, if not, back to the old interface for me :)

    Happy BDay to your mum from Canada! Menu sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, it ALL looks so good. :) The soup and rolls will make such a good meal. Just right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to try your pumpkin soup. I make soup a lot in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that soup and the rolls look delicious! Make sure we see the cupcake tower too.. We had a lovely lot of rain last night, badly needed!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It should be a great day for you all and lots of lovely food.
    I hope you get a good down pour of rain soon, we have had enough up this way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's raining here in Metung so I guess it's an indoor day for us today, it would gave been better if it was raining over your way instead. Yesterday I made Olive bread from a recipe out of a new Greek cookbook. It came out light and fluffy and delicious.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't even know if I'm in new blogger or old blogger, will have to go and check now.

    I love soup season, so many soups to make, your pumpkin soup looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes! I go away for the weekend, and they change Blogger on me again?

    Everything looks so yummy for the birthday celebration. I'm sure your mother had a wonderful day with her family and friends around her.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.