Friday, January 20, 2012

A corella sitting on our roof... cheeky thing!
~
Most people would turn up their nose at my breakfast - squashed sardines on toast (with worcestershire and tomato sauces). Yummy and good for you.
~
(wrap from Shearers Cook Cafe)
Lunch yesterday was this yummy wrap made with Mountain Bread filled with turkey, cranberry sauce, lettuce, carrot, cucumber, red onion, cheese and a little mayo. My favourite combination.
~
For dinner I made a rich bolognese sauce from scratch - diced onion, carrot & onion fried off in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add 500gms lean beef mince and brown. Deglaze pan with a slosh of red wine (cheers!). Add in 1 teaspoon beef stock powder, 2 cloves of garlic and a big handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped. Then tip in 1 can of diced tomatoes (I try and buy the Italian ones when they are on special for .89c/can - best flavour), 1 can of tomato puree and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Add a crack of black pepper and a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of sugar. Stir to combine all this then let it simmer for as long as you like or have time - the longer the better. I used Rigatoni pasta tubes this time. Sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese. Delish!
~
Do you like my Evian water bottle - it has quite a story to it.... When we went to Paris in 2010, we went to the Moulin Rouge and we were served Evian water at our table in these Jean Paul Gaultier bottles... I couldn't resist, ahem, pocketing one of them. Into my handbag it went! I wasn't stealing it really as it was just a bottle like any other spring water bottle to them but a very decorative one to me so I had to have it! It travelled all over Europe with us in my luggage!
~
For dessert, I had bought these Weight Watcher individual serve icecreams. We hadn't tried this Toffee Pecan one before. So very good! Who would want to eat real icecream when this diet stuff tastes so good. These are great to have in the freezer as a treat. Someone at our WW meeting said the other day that they buy the Double Choc Ripple ones, tip it out of the container into a bowl, chop it down the middle and add a banana and have a guilt free banana split!
~
Another good idea for a diet dessert is to buy the Nestle Diet Chocolate Mousse (the whole range is yummy), tip into a nice bowl them dip strawberries in the mousse and eat. Yum! You are getting your chocolate fix and eating fruit at the same time!
~
I've had a busy week of full time work so it's time for home and a glass of wine and some TV I think. I think burgers are on the menu tonight so we'll see what I can produce.
~
Have a lovely weekend wherever you are, I am having a 'homey'.
~
Cheers - Joolz

3 comments:

  1. Yumm, sardines on toast, one of our favourites, I sometimes sprinkle a little balsamic vinegar on top and freshly ground black pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your food always looks so delicious! I think I may have done the same with that water bottle, it looks very classy. Have you tried the WW eclairs that are found in the frozen food section of the supermarket? They are another scrumptious not so naughty dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like sardines but dont think I could eat them for breakfast lol.

    Wraps are a great lunch idea, I make my own with chicken breast or tuna and salad, sometimes mayo or just a sprinkling of lemon juice and garlic...

    Your bolognese looks yummy!

    Joolz, just watch out for aspartame in those diet delights you can buy. Usually low fat means artificial sweetener like aspartame...951 is the preservative number for aspartame...not a good additive at all! Just check before you buy. I am not sure about WW ones, they may be okay :) I have been caught by the no fat yogurts, they are full of the stuff grr!

    Have a great weekend,

    x

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.