Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Two weeks down...

(Tuna salad plate for lunch)
~
(Chow Mein for dinner last night)
~
It is two weeks since I started the Spruce Up For Life fitness program and I am struggling. This old body just doesn't like jumping around like a mad thing! I did not even walk on the 5 week days last week. My hip hurts, my back hurts and my shoulder hurts. My muscles are stiff and ache. Gee, I am having a good pity party, aren't I?
~
We headed into Victoria for the weekend and cooked all of our meals instead of eating out. Dinner in Ruby - chicken skewers and salad (Sunday night)
~
Pan fried potatoes (microwave until nearly cooked then slice into rounds and fry in pan sprayed with oil)
~
Lettuce, tomato, cucumber and mango salad with Balsamic vinaigrette.
~
Lamb cutlets on the barbecue with the above salad and chips... so much better than a pub meal or a take away pizza! I munched away on fruit and nuts during the day when I felt hungry.
~
As far as healthy eating goes, I have been very, very good (see above). Apart from Sakata rice crackers (Seaweed flavour), barely a processed food has passed my lips. But I just hate the exercise because I know I will hurt afterwards. Don't get me wrong - I am not even over-doing it... I have been especially careful with my shoulder while doing light weight routines and Sheryl is not pushing me to do more than I am comfortable with. I walked yesterday morning (30 minutes) and today (probably 20 minutes because it was raining) - walking seems to be my exercise of choice - my muscles burn it's tolerable. I missed the Monday session because we were on our way back from Pt Fairy then didn't attend the free 'Step' class yesterday morning because, quite honestly, I detest 'Step' class and fail to see the point of getting frustrated with my 'unco-ordinatedness'. I have never played sport in my life and I guess my body likes it that way! When I exert myself, I hurt!
~
Okay, rant over. Back to the Thursday morning outdoor class tomorrow with a mind to participate as best I can. I will weigh in tomorrow and would hope to have lost another 1kg. Here's hoping!
~
Cheers - Joolz

7 comments:

  1. Gentle exercise and gradual weight loss will bring better long term results. No point making yourself miserable. Your meals look really healthy without skipping on taste.
    Cheering you on from Brissy!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joolz....stop beating yourself up .....if "jumping around" isn't working for you....just do the walking... walking and eating healthy will see the kgs come off and you feeling better and not hurting so much! I started out walking around the block and have gradually built on that as my fitness improves. I walk most mornings for 30 minutes and also at lunch time for about the same time.....good to get off the chair and out of the office for some fresh air. And I have found that walking becomes quite addictive...I used to lie in bed and make excuses to myself for not walking....you know..too cold/hot, too early/late, too lazy! LOL.....now...I get annoyed if I have to forgo the walk. Rose loves to go as well so that's further incentive...you need to enjoy the exercise or you won't do it. Hang in there..your meals look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the healthy eating! And as far as exercise, it doesn't pay to push yourself to the point where you are in pain and can't move at all. Hang in there and do what you can. (She says as she sits on the computer after a day at the desk and in the car.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed that as I've got older I can't do as much vigorous exercise as I used to, I get new aches where I never used to. You're doing well, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your healthy eating looks delicious and I'm sure your fitness is improving gradually which is better than over-doing it.
    I for one think you are doing a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!

    I have another 5 weeks of this program to go and will stick with it because, after all, it is Sheryl we are helping by doing her 7 week program so she can become a Personal Trainer.

    I will take it easy and keep up with the walking and attend the classes (I really enjoyed last Thursday's class - a bit of jumping around then floor work involving light weights, leg lifts etc. - that I can do!) and weigh ins. I am fine and just needed a grumble about my old age pains!

    Cheers - Joolz

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Pain No Gain Joolz lol!

    I have trouble with my hips too when I do that sort of exercise...I had to give up netball because I couldn't walk the next day, my hips were so painful. Walking suits me too, and you will lose weight doing it...

    Do what you are comfortable with and well done on your journey so far. I hope you have a loss on the scales tomorrow, I have hidden mine so I dont hop on them everyday :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.