Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pretty skies and some winter warmers....

I completely forgot to check out the lunar eclipse that was taking place this morning (between 5am and 6.30am I think) but I did zip out after 7am and got these pics. I couldn't see the moon at all...
~
Such beautiful colours in the sky...
~
Tuesday night dinner was Garlic Beef & Red Pepper stir fry which we all enjoyed...
~
Followed, rather naughtily, by this Chocolate Pudding... from the Women's Weekly Old fashioned Favourites book.
~
60gms butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tspn vanilla essence or extract
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup SR flour
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
~
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
2 cups of boiling water and a knob of butter
~
1. Combine butter and milk in a large saucepan, stir until butter has melted. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and caster sugar, then sifted flour and cocoa. Just use a wooden spoon to mix.
~
2. Spread mixture into a greased overproof dish (6-8 cup capacity). Combine brown sugar and cocoa in a small bowl then sprinkle this over the batter. Drop small bits of the knob of butter over this then carefully pour over the boiling water.
~
3. Bake in moderate over (180C) for 40 minutes - sauce with sink under the pudding and thicken. Serve with vanilla icecream or whipped cream.
~
We had a dinner guest last night so I did Kylie Kwong's Radical Roast Chicken and it was great. A one pot dish so there wasn't much clean up. I do feel that the cooking times are a bit short so allow longer to get the bird cooked properly. It has lots of cloves of garlic and shallots roasted in amongst the vegetables and boy, did the house reek this morning!
~
... and because the other pudding was such a hit, I made this Butterscotch Pudding from Taste.com - very easy (stir it up with a wooden spoon, no beaters required) and delicious! I made this before I started on the chicken so then all we had to do was zap each serve in the microwave.
~
We have a freezing cold wind whipping through today so Bri rugged up with scarf, gloves and leggings under her tights plus socks! It's nearly 9am and it's only 7.4C! Even I will have to 'layer-up' today - I don't wear much more than one layer during our winter but that wind is coming straight from Antarctica!
~
Stay warm... or cool... where ever you are in this world!
~
Joolz

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joolz

    Great photos and delish looking meals. Chilly here also - 10 below average and have ordered Stu some handmade fingerless gloves for his early starts at work. Never this cold up here! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colours in the sunrise, I meant to get up and look at the lunar eclipse, but the time came and it was too cold so I rolled over and went back to sleep :)

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.