Sunday, May 1, 2011

Firstly - our Easter Feaster...Part 1

Good Friday dinner saw have some Oysters Kilpatrick...
~
Followed by some Zesty Garlic Prawn Skewers...
~
King George Whiting, roast potatoes and green salad.
~
I retired to bed before dessert got under way. Angus cooked strawberry pizzas on the barbecue. Prepared pizza bases topped with sliced strawberries, strawberry jam and Cointreau. Baked in covered bbq until bubbling, serve with whipped cream.
~
I left instructions for them to take a picture for me. Next morning, I checked the camera and was surprised to see such a fantastic looking pizza - wow, they had made a ganache sauce too!
Then they started giggling - they forgot to take a picture so they googled one on the internet and took a photo of the laptop screen! Trickers!
~
Saturday lunch was a really good find ~ Cilantro is a newly opened Indian restaurant. We are not big into Indian or curries but it looked nice and the staff were welcoming.
~
Kirby had a Rogan Josh lamb pizza...
~
Bri had a chicken & vegetable curry pizza on naan bread...
~
... and I had the Cilantro Special Chicken - juicy chicken morsels slow cooked in a flavoursome gravy with specially ground spices. The menu said "not very spicy but does have what we call the 'Comet Effect'! - Absolutely delicious - I cleaned my plate! The flavour and heat of the curry made me go back again and again for another mouthful!
~
Gus had a yellow fin tuna fillet in a curry sauce and he also declared it delicious!
~
Bri and I shared a traditional Indian dessert - Gulub Jamun - milk dumplings soaked in saffron, cardamon & honey syrup, served with vanilla icecream. Again delicious!
~
Are you feeling full yet??
~
Saturday night I tried my hand at Hot Cross Buns - sorry Debbie but this was an epic fail on my part! Now, when I mixed the warm milk, sugar and yeast together then let it sit, something just didn't seem right. It is meant to froth and my mixture didn't. It was a new packet of yeast so I'm not sure what went wrong. Hence...
~
... I had spicy, fruit grenades - easily capable of smashing a window at 10 paces! I hacked one open the next morning with a machete (kidding), microwaved it for 15 seconds and spread it with butter and marmalade. It tasted really good so the recipe is spot on, I just need to have another go.
~
On Easter Sunday we moved camp to the Intercontinental Hotel. Kirby's flat is nice but very cramped for 4 people to co-habit. All getting ready with only one shower takes forever. So we had 2 nights there.
~
Sunday lunch, we trained out of the city to Oaklands, transferred to a waiting bus which took us on to Hallett Cove station. We were invited by our friends Mike & Pauline for lunch with their girls. They had prepared a lovely roast lunch for us - we feasted on Roast pork and lamb and beautiful baked vegetables...
~
I didn't get pictures of dessert but it was a baked vanilla cheesecake with hazelnut crumb crust and an Apple & Rhubarb crumble with almond crumble topping. Pauline is a coeliac and cannot have flour/wheat products. I could not tell that we were eating gluten free. Delicious!
~
L-R - Chelsea, Ben, Lucy, Brianna & Kirby
~
Pauline had this beautiful hibiscus bush in her garden, full of these pretty blooms.
~
... and this one too! Makes me think of Queensland.
~
Back soon for the second part...
Joolz

2 comments:

  1. Vicarious dining just isn't good enough. I want to taste it all. Yum, what a feast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum! What a trip down gourmet heaven. And oh my gosh, that strawberry pizza sounds AMAZING! You couldn't throw that recipe my way if you have it handy, could you? I did google one, but it was all about cream cheese and jelly. Nothing as scrumptious as yours.

    With the buns, I usually find that if you use too much flour they go hard. Though it does sound like you had trouble with the yeast. I tend to melt my butter, add the milk and heat until just lukewarm, then mix the sugar and yeast into that, immediately adding the dry ingredients, rather than waiting. It has worked really well and I make a lot of hot cross buns every year as they don't sell them at the shops.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.